Old 05-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Zildjian ZBT vs. Sabian B8 20 Ride
Please, I'd like some opinions. I have both of these cymbals and at best, both are okay for what I play (rock but not ear-splitting rock). I like the B8 bell but when the ZBT is struck in the middle it gives off quite a good sound, at least to me. I know that everything is subjective and that a lot of factors come into play. I just wanted some opinions here. I have no room to mount another cymbal and I don't feel like changing the ride on every three or four songs. I know that these are not high end but, they're going to have to do for a bit. Thank you!
Brian
Old 05-30-2016, 03:30 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Zildjian ZBT vs. Sabian B8 20 Ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty 1322 View Post
Please, I'd like some opinions. I have both of these cymbals and at best, both are okay for what I play (rock but not ear-splitting rock). I like the B8 bell but when the ZBT is struck in the middle it gives off quite a good sound, at least to me. I know that everything is subjective and that a lot of factors come into play. I just wanted some opinions here. I have no room to mount another cymbal and I don't feel like changing the ride on every three or four songs. I know that these are not high end but, they're going to have to do for a bit. Thank you!
Brian
Neither the Zildjian ZBT or the Sabian B8's are particularly good cymbals as you've already acknowledged. The B8 refers to the makeup of the alloy used which is B8 bronze for both Sabian and Zildjian. In the end you should use the one that fits the music and sounds better to both you and your band mate's ears. From my point of view I've always felt the Sabian B8's looked better and were more similar looking to cast B20 bronze cymbals. But the few I've heard sounded pretty dull and lifeless. The ZBT's always looked cheaper to my eyes, but the sound, although mediocre, was brighter and more lively than the Sabian's. Of course admittedly my experience with both brands of B8 formula cymbals is limited, and around 12-15 years old. Keep in mind that a lot of drummer's playing rock are happily using ZBTs. Depending on the type and loudness of the music you're playing, the subtleties of really good cymbals may not be audible to you or your audience anyway.

Last edited by BosLover; 05-30-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:59 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks, Mark! I'm sure you know far more than I do about these cymbals. From my limited experience, I tend to agree with you. I'll experiment a bit more with both cymbals. I tend to like a bright sound myself and with the stuff we are playing, that is probably what I'll go for( at least until I have the funds for better ones). Thanks very much, sir! I really appreciate your input as I know you are far more informed than I am!!!
Brian
Old 05-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

At one point I also has a couple similar rides. Both were 20". One was ZBT (maybe a plus) and the other a B8 pro. Very similar, but I preferred the ZBT. Like Mark said, overall it was more lively.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:13 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks, tris66. Your input is greatly appreciated!
Brian
Old 06-01-2016, 10:25 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty 1322 View Post
Thanks, Mark! I'm sure you know far more than I do about these cymbals. From my limited experience, I tend to agree with you. I'll experiment a bit more with both cymbals. I tend to like a bright sound myself and with the stuff we are playing, that is probably what I'll go for( at least until I have the funds for better ones). Thanks very much, sir! I really appreciate your input as I know you are far more informed than I am!!!
Brian
I appreciate the positive comments, but in the end you may have a better ear than I do. As I said go with what sounds best to you.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I don't know if I have a better ear or not but, I know you're right. In the end, it comes down to personal taste. Thanks again for the input, Mark.
Brian