Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 11-13-2017, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Getting some Torodor Drums :)

They look great. I love the hi-hat stand. I am curious to know what you think about the snare.

The wood can vary between drums on these kits.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:30 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvertedLudwigPLayer View Post
They look great. I love the hi-hat stand. I am curious to know what you think about the snare.

The wood can vary between drums on these kits.
Thanks! The stand are pretty cool/interesting...I was glad it had the original hardware. The snare sounds good. I haven't been able to mess with it much yet but it is the exact snare (by Pearl) that I bought a few weeks ago (Ultratone) just a different logo.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Some pics of the kit setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	114004   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	114005   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	114006   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	114007  

Old 11-15-2017, 02:00 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Very nice!

Those look great! Usually MIJ Blue Sparkle kits are faded or dull looking. Not those!

It's cool that they have two separate tom mounts, so you can use it as a 4 piece if you want, which would then give you the option of using the shell mounted cymbal holder. I bet that snare sounds really good!

BTW, I've always wondered why they put the cymbal holder on 5 piece kits. Where were you supposed to put the cymbal? I guess so you can use it as a 4 piece like I mentioned above.

Also, do you think someone, somewhere has boxes and boxes full of MIJ cymbal arms, since virtually all MIJ kits with the cymbal holders are missing the arms? If this person does exist, I bet they live right next to the person who has all the extra lost socks from dryers around the world!
Old 11-15-2017, 04:51 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
Very nice!

Those look great! Usually MIJ Blue Sparkle kits are faded or dull looking. Not those!

It's cool that they have two separate tom mounts, so you can use it as a 4 piece if you want, which would then give you the option of using the shell mounted cymbal holder. I bet that snare sounds really good!

BTW, I've always wondered why they put the cymbal holder on 5 piece kits. Where were you supposed to put the cymbal? I guess so you can use it as a 4 piece like I mentioned above.

Also, do you think someone, somewhere has boxes and boxes full of MIJ cymbal arms, since virtually all MIJ kits with the cymbal holders are missing the arms? If this person does exist, I bet they live right next to the person who has all the extra lost socks from dryers around the world!
Yes, I am very pleased with the condition of these drums...almost mint condition!
I thought the same thing about the cymbal arm mount. There is no way to use it when both toms are mounted. Cool thing is, it actually came with the cymbal arm. If I ever play out with it, I think I will use it as a 4 piece or maybe a 5 piece with one tom mounted on a snare stand to the left. I like that setup and will actually be able to use the cymbal mount. Maybe they put these on on the kits standard and just left them on the 5 piece kits?, only think I can think of.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have that same kit in my basement waiting for restore (with like several others). Mine has no badges though. Good solid fatter lugs that were not around for very IIRC.
That snare is a great sounding snare. Any snare with that shell......

and let me know if you want one (snare). I know where one is for sale for cheap. (killing me not to buy it myself....but can only justify have so many of the same drum)

2Timothy1:7
Old 11-24-2017, 10:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerjohn333 View Post
I have that same kit in my basement waiting for restore (with like several others). Mine has no badges though. Good solid fatter lugs that were not around for very IIRC.
That snare is a great sounding snare. Any snare with that shell......

and let me know if you want one (snare). I know where one is for sale for cheap. (killing me not to buy it myself....but can only justify have so many of the same drum)
Since this kit came with the original snare I will probably just stick with it. I don't need any more drums, lol. Thanks for the offer though
Old 08-23-2019, 10:10 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I finally did a demo of this kit. It took me long enough, I know...lol
Old 08-24-2019, 02:36 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I hope you'll take the covers off the rack toms when you play them!
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60s MIJ Apollo/Majestic, Red Sparkle, 13/16/20
'60s Stewart, Gold Sparkle, 12/13/16/22

Author of the book, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."
Old 08-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Great demo and playing as usual ar.

You always prove the naysayers wrong who say these MIJ kits are junk. You've made every MIJ kit I've heard you play sound good, and it was one of your You Tube demo's that convinced me to buy one of these stencil kits, and I haven't been sorry. They are pretty darn cool!