Old 11-03-2012, 01:06 PM

Default I Need Restoration Advice on Phenolic Shells
Greetings All; I just rescued a set of 3 Pearl Presidents from a basement. A 13" tom, a 16"tom and a bass drum. The shells are made of paper impregnated with phenolic resin. Before I charge this project like Bunker Hill I want to get some advice from cooler heads. The toms are in pretty decent shape. The two photos show the bass drum before and after hardware/wrap removal. You will note the extra holes carved by a fellow thumper with what looks like a bread knife.
My plan is to use sheets of paper impregnated with phenolic resin 1/32 thicker than the shell and cut perfect plugs for each unwanted hole and secure them with a small amount of epoxy resin. If anyone has worked on these phenolic shells I certainly would like to hear about your process/materials. I'm open to suggestions other than "forget it". Thanks in advance. Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ABNormal; 11-03-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Restoration Advice on Phenolic Shells
The best guy in the world to ask would be Jerry at Blaemire Drums. If anybody knows how to work with that stuff, it's Jerry.

Good luck, sounds like an interesting restoration project.

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm

Last edited by Tommyp; 11-03-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:45 PM

Got your Email (Facebook)...
If you are going to re-wrap the shells, and I will assume you are...I would not go to the trouble of using sheets of paper impregnated with phenolic resin.
Just use Bondo Fiberglass resin. It spreads on like peanut butter and has chopped fiberglass in it for strength. I have used it on plenty of Blaemire shells as well as Pearl fiberglass shells to fill holes....even the large tom mount holes.
Put a backing on the inside of the shell and tape it down. Over fill the hole a bit and let it sit. Sand it and your done. It is very strong and a lot less mess than a resin can be.
Below is a link to the stuff...You can get it at Home Depot
Good luck on your project.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bondo-Fibe...y-1qt/17056868

BTW...I have a cool phenolic prototype snare shell that Allen Blaemire made.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 PM

There's the rub and perhaps an unreasonable goal on my part. I really wanted to avoid wrapping the shells to allow the natural color of the phenolic resin shells to show through. I can get 12" x 12" sheets of linen phenolic in the correct thickness. My thought is the entire shell will stand a light sanding without getting fuzzy. I'll have to experiment but I would like to lightly stain the outside to match the reddish/brown color of the inside. Go ahead, tell me the truth, I can take it. Regards,
Jim
Old 11-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Jinx - Thanks for picking up the ball, buddy!

Hope all goes well at the drum shop!

Warm regards,

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Old 11-03-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNormal View Post
My thought is the entire shell will stand a light sanding without getting fuzzy. I'll have to experiment but I would like to lightly stain the outside to match the reddish/brown color of the inside. Go ahead, tell me the truth, I can take it. Regards,
Jim
I think you may be right about the "getting fuzzy" with sanding, but it does not hurt to experiment.
I had some other shells that I got with the intact snare I have and I tried to do what you are doing. The phenolic layers began to de-laminate. But...these were uncovered and had sat for a long time in a basement. I ended up pitching the lot but kept the snare. It had been clear coated and is in very good shape.
Keep us informed on your progress.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:01 PM

Will do. I temporarily assembled the 13" with lug gaskets I had laying around just to see what they sound like. They're light and loud and tune easily and I like the look. You can see the stenciled date on the shell.
Attached Thumbnails