Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 10-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Please take a look at this ludwig

So it seems there is a vintage Ludwig drum kit in a natural maple finish up for sale on my local classifieds.. The kit was first posted as a 14-16-22, then the seller changed it to 12-16-22, which makes no sense to me, other than he possibly measured incorrectly, or that he he had another tom he was trying to get rid of rather than a 12" he may have been wanting to keep.. I really don't know.. Whatever the case $800 seems like a good deal for a Ludwig natural maple kit, and judging from the spurs and tom mounts, i would assume late 70's early 80's..
The thing that seems a little off is pic number 2.. It looks as if there was an attempt to drill for a floor tom leg mount but the person who had tried to do this realized that the floor tom may have been upside down, and stopped the process after realizing their "mistake".. I would see no other reason to drill for a 16" floor tom at the top of the shell..It looks legit to me, but i think it may have even been tampered with at some point for reasons unknown..
What say you Ludwig dudes ? Is this a "true blue" Ludwig with an attempt at modification or has it not been tampered with ?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-batterie-perc...ationFlag=true

Last edited by human71; 10-10-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Please take a look at this ludwig

Looks like holes for a click mount so may have started life as a mounted concert tom.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Emailed the seller with that very question.. I basically asked that it looked like the floor may have been tampered with for drilling and if that was the case.. Maybe this is why he has it advertised as a Quadra Plus, because those kits were the ones with concert toms.. Guess we'll find out..

Last edited by human71; 10-10-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

What looks like small lugs (which are Ludwig's standard sized lugs today) on the "floor" tom would indicate that it started life as a concert tom. The lugs on a factory double headēd floor of that era would have the same sized castings as those on the bass drum. If so the extra holes might be from the original mounting bracket.

Nothing wrong with a 12/16/22 kit and maple thermogloss with a bit of patina to it usually looks cool but these are probably modified concert toms and should be priced accordingly.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:32 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by human71 View Post
Emailed the seller with that very question.. I basically asked that it looked like the floor may have been tampered with for drilling and if that was the case.. Maybe this is why he has it advertised as a Quadra Plus, because those kits were the ones with concert toms.. Guess we'll find out..
The cataloged Quadra plus has no C-tom for a floor. Its a tom tom.

That drilling don`t even look like it will fit that leg mount,...too big.
It`s in the right spot but that drilling looks like a Gretsch diamond leg mount.
I`m not sure the drilling for that luddy leg mount,..so I could be mistaken.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 10-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

As suspected, the floor was a concert tom..Lugs are the small classic on the bottom of the floor shell
.Good observation guys.. I can't believe i missed the lug thing on the floor tom !
Pass on this one..

Last edited by human71; 10-13-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

It's still a nice looking kit at a reasonable price.