Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-29-2020, 09:38 PM
ConvertedLudwigPLayer ConvertedLudwigPLayer is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 431
Default Source for parts for a 60's Ludwig rail

Where is a good source for the carriage bolts and nuts for 1960's era Rail mounts? I am looking specifically for the one that clamps down the "L" arm and the one that clamps the tom holder into place on the hot dog rail.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-30-2020, 09:44 AM
vyacheslav vyacheslav is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,540
Default Re: Source for parts for a 60's Ludwig rail

Ummmmmm a hardware store?

Seriously though, that's what I use. Just take the existing (and probably bent/rusted) screws with you and get carriage screws of the same length. They should be 5/16" threading.

As far as the nuts go, if you use a 5/16" coupling nut cut in half, those are the same as the original nuts. Regular 5/16" nuts are wider and won't fit the consolette wrench. The coupling nuts are narrower and will fit the consolette wrench. (Just as aside, the consolette wrench is a standard 7/16" wrench, which fits "normal" 1/4" nuts, and the skinnier 5/16" coupling nuts)

Finally, I use 1/4" washers. They are the same size as the original Ludwigs and they fit on the 5/16" screws.

DO NOT buy "vintage screws/nuts/washers" on ebay or Reverb. They are the EXACT screws you can buy today at any hardware store (a whole set for less than $1 and not $39.95 for one screw on ebay).
__________________
"The worst thing to happen to drums from the 60's and early 70's was the 80's!"-clubdate64

Last edited by vyacheslav; 06-30-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-30-2020, 10:38 AM
leedybdp leedybdp is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,942
Default Re: Source for parts for a 60's Ludwig rail

Please heed the advice given by Vyacheslav. The local hardware store (preferably a large mom and pop store if you can find one) is the drummer's best friend when it comes to finding that oddball widget for a dollar for which online sellers want you to pay $30-40. Those badge grommet installers are merely a combination of about a buck's worth of bolts, nuts, and washers.
__________________
No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.

Last edited by leedybdp; 06-30-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-30-2020, 12:46 PM
ConvertedLudwigPLayer ConvertedLudwigPLayer is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 431
Default Re: Source for parts for a 60's Ludwig rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
Ummmmmm a hardware store?

Seriously though, that's what I use. Just take the existing (and probably bent/rusted) screws with you and get carriage screws of the same length. They should be 5/16" threading.

As far as the nuts go, if you use a 5/16" coupling nut cut in half, those are the same as the original nuts. Regular 5/16" nuts are wider and won't fit the consolette wrench. The coupling nuts are narrower and will fit the consolette wrench. (Just as aside, the consolette wrench is a standard 7/16" wrench, which fits "normal" 1/4" nuts, and the skinnier 5/16" coupling nuts)

Finally, I use 1/4" washers. They are the same size as the original Ludwigs and they fit on the 5/16" screws.

DO NOT buy "vintage screws/nuts/washers" on ebay or Reverb. They are the EXACT screws you can buy today at any hardware store (a whole set for less than $1 and not $39.95 for one screw on ebay).
I did not have any luck finding them previously at Lowes and Home Depot a few years ago for another Ludwig kit I had at the time. I thought I might have better luck online
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-2020, 01:21 PM
leedybdp leedybdp is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,942
Default Re: Source for parts for a 60's Ludwig rail

If you are anywhere near the Dallas area, there is a long-standing local chain of three stores named Elliott's Hardware. I would bet that they have what you need.
Elliott's Hardware
Facebook (8)
1325 Inwood Rd, Dallas (214) 634-9900
Open Closes 7 PM
__________________
No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.

Last edited by leedybdp; 06-30-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2020, 02:11 PM
O-Lugs O-Lugs is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,510
Default Re: Source for parts for a 60's Ludwig rail

edit: didn't see this has already been answered...my apologies....
__________________
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God

Last edited by O-Lugs; 06-30-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2020, 09:16 PM
ConvertedLudwigPLayer ConvertedLudwigPLayer is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 431
Default Re: Source for parts for a 60's Ludwig rail

Thanks for the help everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-01-2020, 10:47 AM
idrum4fun idrum4fun is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,312
Default Re: Source for parts for a 60's Ludwig rail

I added a Maxwell rail to my 1967 Slingerland set. The included nuts and bolts are just inexpensive stock, the same as what you might find at your local hardware store. I found NOS Ludwig chrome nuts, which you can see in the first and second pictures. The other bolts, all beautiful chrome, were purchased at a store near me (when I lived in Covina) called King Bolt. Yes, it gets pricey to purchase these parts separately, but I think it was well worth it!

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	131434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	131435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	131436  
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-02-2020, 02:36 PM
ConvertedLudwigPLayer ConvertedLudwigPLayer is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 431
Default Re: Source for parts for a 60's Ludwig rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
I added a Maxwell rail to my 1967 Slingerland set. The included nuts and bolts are just inexpensive stock, the same as what you might find at your local hardware store. I found NOS Ludwig chrome nuts, which you can see in the first and second pictures. The other bolts, all beautiful chrome, were purchased at a store near me (when I lived in Covina) called King Bolt. Yes, it gets pricey to purchase these parts separately, but I think it was well worth it!

-Mark
The hardware looks great, but that kit looks even better!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-02-2020, 04:39 PM
idrum4fun idrum4fun is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,312
Default Re: Source for parts for a 60's Ludwig rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvertedLudwigPLayer View Post
The hardware looks great, but that kit looks even better!
Thank you!!

-Mark
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign