Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 07-09-2020, 06:03 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Lowrider Snare Stand

Hello, Guys!
I recently purchased an old Ludwig high tension parade drum which I'm in the process of restoring. I think the sound might be great for recording a couple of original songs. Our band plays all original tunes. I play with a late 70's Supra for the most part on a Ludwig 1400 flat base stand. Since this parade drum is twelve inches deep, it rides way too high. Does anyone know of a type of snare stand that will accept a 15 X 12 inch snare? Thank you very much.
Brian
Old 07-09-2020, 06:36 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Lowrider Snare Stand

Hey Brian just put some floor tom legs on it, hahahah

Sounds like you might need to take a stand and re-work it or cut it down. I will be interested in hearing from others.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Old 07-09-2020, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

I made a low snare stand for a Firchie snare drum from the base of a cheap throne that had very large rubber feet. The feet did not open very wide at all so the result was a short bottom portion. Sorry I don't remember the brand of throne but it was an import model and in the used "boneyard" of a drum shop. I used the top of an older model Yamaha snare stand that had very large tall rubber grips and a ball mount style swivel since it has to hold the drum while you can turn it to change the pitch. Any way, I recommend that you take your preferred top portion of a snare stand and see how low you can go (cue the limbo music?) with a matching diameter throne bottom. I have heard of folks cutting down the tube of throne bottoms and reattaching the collar mechanism. You can't cut it too low or else the legs will not fold properly. Good luck, I think it will be worth the effort for a unique snare sound.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

I cut down an old WFL snare stand so I could use a marcher as a floor tom without drilling holes for FT legs. It worked out ok.
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04526.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	131511   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04596.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	131512  
Old 07-12-2020, 05:03 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks very much, guys for your input. Once I get this old marcher in presentable condition, I'll probably fabricate my own stand. Luckily, I have a few extras around. Thanks again!
Brian
Old 07-15-2020, 05:54 AM

This very question is what has prevented me from buying a deep snare like this. I always thought the solution was just to sit higher. I seen guys use a parade drum as a main snare and it kills! Always wanted to try. Salty please post a pic of what you rig up. Im interested to see what you did. Also so we can see the drum!
Old 07-15-2020, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a better pic of the WFL snare stand I shortened up to allow me to use my 12X15 marcher as a FT.

I only cut a section off the bottom tube. I don't remember exactly how much but made some measurements and kind of figured out how much I needed to cut off the bottom tube about 6 to 8 inches I think (the difference in depth between a 5 inch snare and 12 inch marcher).
Had to first remove the clamp assy on the top of the bottom tube used for tightening. Then I used a pipe cutter like plumbers use on copper pipe to cut off the tube and then reinstalled the top clamp assy. It was pretty straight forward. You should be able to do it no problem assuming you have or can borrow a pipe cutter. You might be able to use a hack saw but risk deforming the tube - I wouldn't advise that. Anyway it worked out great for me I thought.

One other thing to note. By making the bottom tube shorter you will not be able to fold up the stand all the way to fit in your hardware bag if you plan to gig out with it. You may consider that a minor or major inconvenience - I don't know - just something to to consider ahead of time.
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04523.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	131645  
Old 07-17-2020, 05:51 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by poco rit. View Post
This very question is what has prevented me from buying a deep snare like this. I always thought the solution was just to sit higher. I seen guys use a parade drum as a main snare and it kills! Always wanted to try. Salty please post a pic of what you rig up. Im interested to see what you did. Also so we can see the drum!
Hello, poco rit.,
I'm still trying to get this old tub to sound like I want. With twelve individually tuned cords and the P-87 strainer, it is challenging to say the least! It's finally cleaned up and looking quite good! I have an extra WFL stand that I think will be a good candidate for a shortened version. I'll only "sacrifice" it though if I can get this monster tuned correctly! Maybe today. I don't even own a camera so taking pictures id not an option. If I do cut down a stand though, I'll make sure I send you all details. I use a late seventies Supra as a main snare, but would very much like to try this one out. Thanks for your interest, sir!
Brian
Old 07-28-2020, 01:19 AM

Nice work. Man I wouldnt wanna deal with gut snares. Will the drum not let you put on modern snare wires, like Puresound, with some snare cord?
Old 07-28-2020, 06:22 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by poco rit. View Post
Nice work. Man I wouldnt wanna deal with gut snares. Will the drum not let you put on modern snare wires, like Puresound, with some snare cord?
Yep. I found an old butt plate that fit. I used the original strainer and just punched a hole though some plastic snare ribbons so that it would fit. The Puresound wires now sound pretty good! A lot easier than those artificial , tuneable gut "wires"!!!