Old 01-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Default Ludwig Rockers
Hey Ludwig Guys! I need some help. I found a red Rockers kit in decent shape. 22, 12, 13, 16, no snare, Black and white rounded badges, no hardware. All drums are in good shape and it includes the tom tree. Does anyone know what shells they were using for these and if they are worth buying? Looks like I can get them for $300. Sounds good to me... Ludwig Guys, your thoughts???
Old 01-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Ludwig Rockers
Here is all of the history to help you confirm what they are

Ludwig Rockers

Then update the post so the value can be confirmed.

David
Old 01-10-2010, 07:52 AM

Thanks David, that information was very helpful. So, it looks like what I'm looking at is a Rockers II kit in a red wrap with the rounded black and white badges with the "Rockers style" lugs. It looked like the Rockers kit (as opposed to Rockers II) came with Classic lugs. So again, it's the 4 pieces, drums appear to be in decent shape, all original heads are still on them, except there are layers of hardened masking tape on the heads! Due to this fact, I can't really get a good appreciation for their sound until I get some new heads on them. Any comments? Does anyone own a set and do they sound decent? I now that these were a more budget line product, but it seems to me that much of the budget stuff from days past is like gold today. So, what do you guys think... Are these worth picking up, or should I move on? I have a lonely B/O rounded badge acrolite snare that is lonely over here... and a couple of pointy badge supras for that matter.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

The drums are good sounding, much better than most of yesterday and today's budget drums. They have that Ludwig sound. You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig-dude View Post
The drums are good sounding, much better than most of yesterday and today's budget drums. They have that Ludwig sound. You won't be disappointed.
Agreed. I had a 5-piece set, and they sounded great. My only issue was the wrap, which was a fake (and fragile) chrome-over-wood on my set. I'm sure the other wraps are much better.

1964 Slingerland Stage Band in Black Diamond Pearl
Old 01-10-2010, 11:44 PM

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the feedback. So here's the scoop... I went to see the guy today and asked if we could negotiate the price. Without much haggling, HE suggested $200. I walked out with a big smile on my face. The drums are in decent shape, with some scuffs here and there... a player's kit for sure. So... good deal? I'll snap some pics for you once I get them all prettied up!

P.S. Any suggestions for head choices? I'll be reskinning them soon after I get them set up.