Old 07-06-2014, 03:35 PM

Default Camco LA walnut kit
Hi all. New member from Norway here. I've had a few vintage kits in my time and still have my 1955 Slingerlands but sold my 68 champagne sparkle and my 69 silver sparkle Luwigs when I bought my Ludwig Legacy Classics a few years back. I also have a Yamaha PHX kit but this post is about my recent find... An LA badge walnut Camco kit. It has 22x14 kick and 12x8, 13x9 and 16x16 toms. It came with a 1965 Supraphonic and Zildjian A thin 14" hats, 20" and 16" thin rides. I bought it from a widow whose late husband was very fond of drummin.

I have attached a couple of pics of the toms and the serial# which is the same on all drums. Since Camcokits are very rare over here in Norway I know very little about them apart from what I've found online and in this great forum. Any idea which year they're from?

Are they worth hanging on to? I have never played a Camco kit before so I'm a bit excited here... Should I restore them or leav'em like they came? Any info and/or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by JRF; 07-06-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Camco LA walnut kit
I would hang onto those for sure! They look to be in decent condition as is. Maybe clean them up a bit but I dont think much would need to be done as far restoring them goes. I'd just play and enjoy them!! You are probably the only person in Norway to own a set of those!

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Old 07-07-2014, 01:15 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

to the forum.Wouldn`t touch them-keep them just the way they are as the finish looks to be in good shape from your pix.Wonderful drums and likely early 70`s but can`t narrow down the year.

Wayne
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Old 07-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Nice score. I would hang on to them, and to the VDF.

Cam
Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Keep 'em as is and play 'em! They'll probably be some of the best sounding drums you've ever heard.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Smile Re: Camco LA walnut kit
Beautiful drums! to the forum , it's great to get new members from so far away.
I'd say your LA era drums are from 73 or 74 from the interior lug hardware. In 1975 or so it changed to aluminum alloy.
I would wax the shells with a hi quality automotive wax and polish the chrome and that's all that you would ever need to do. They are already in stellar condition...Can you post more pictures? With the bass drum and how about one in the Gallery? We'd love to include your kit in the picture gallery!
Thanks and again welcome to the forum!

Roger
Old 07-07-2014, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the nice words guys. Will clean them up and try them out soon. The toms miss the tonecontrol, looks like they've been removed at some point. Are the tonecontrols identical on all Camcokits or did they evolve through the years?

They look pretty nice on the badgeside but the toms and especially the smallest tom has som scratches from most probably the snaredrum.

Guess I have to track down an LA badge wooden snaredrum for this now...

I'll post more pics when I've cleaned it up.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
Thanks for the nice words guys. Will clean them up and try them out soon. The toms miss the tonecontrol, looks like they've been removed at some point. Are the tonecontrols identical on all Camcokits or did they evolve through the years?

They look pretty nice on the badgeside but the toms and especially the smallest tom has som scratches from most probably the snaredrum.

Guess I have to track down an LA badge wooden snaredrum for this now...

I'll post more pics when I've cleaned it up.
The ITCs are really not needed and yes they fit all era's.
Scratches add character and give the kit a certain earned quality that's priceless...

Tags
camco , labadge