Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Drumaholic Drumaholic is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,075
Default Re: Vintge Zildjian Ink Stamp?

[center]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
I really dunno if EVERY old Zildjian originally had the model/series ink stamp though....
I think its safe to say that most did have the ink stampsbut not all did. Here's some examples from the mid-1930's. This first one has it:




But these hi-hats do not:






And these two also have it:






All of these examples are from the mid 1930's period.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-15-2009, 02:40 AM
Jaye Jaye is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SF
Posts: 2,628
Default Re: Vintge Zildjian Ink Stamp?

Wow...insane that those are still so sharp and clear. Amazing !
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-15-2009, 12:51 PM
lucky lucky is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: chi town
Posts: 2,182
Default Re: Vintge Zildjian Ink Stamp?

Really, did you get them that way or did you clean them?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Drumaholic Drumaholic is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,075
Default Re: Vintge Zildjian Ink Stamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
Really, did you get them that way or did you clean them?
They aren't mine. But no, they were never cleaned.

The meaning of "mint condition" is often misused and abused.

But these ese examples ARE the defintion.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 PM
drumhack drumhack is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,176
Default Re: Vintge Zildjian Ink Stamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumaholic View Post
They aren't mine. But no, they were never cleaned.

The meaning of "mint condition" is often misused and abused.

But these ese examples ARE the defintion.

It was explained to me that the patina vintage cymbals posess is the result of a chemical reaction of the materials the cymbal is made of. If this is true, how would seventy year old cymbals remain new looking without being cleaned?

drumhack

__________________
"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Ludwig-dude Ludwig-dude is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salem, NH USA
Posts: 4,009
Default Re: Vintge Zildjian Ink Stamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhack View Post
It was explained to me that the patina vintage cymbals posess is the result of a chemical reaction of the materials the cymbal is made of. If this is true, how would seventy year old cymbals remain new looking without being cleaned?

drumhack

It is possible for a 70 year old cymbal to look that way if it was stored away in a controlled environment that was sealed from air and if they were wrapped in some kind of shipping cloth. This way they can't tarnish. Obviously they were stored away properly somewhere and forgotten about for years.....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Drumaholic Drumaholic is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,075
Default Re: Vintge Zildjian Ink Stamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig-dude View Post
It is possible for a 70 year old cymbal to look that way if it was stored away in a controlled environment that was sealed from air and if they were wrapped in some kind of shipping cloth. This way they can't tarnish. Obviously they were stored away properly somewhere and forgotten about for years.....
Yes you're completley right about that. And that's exactly the case here.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Ludwig-dude Ludwig-dude is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salem, NH USA
Posts: 4,009
Default Re: Vintge Zildjian Ink Stamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumaholic View Post
Yes you're completley right about that. And that's exactly the case here.
These didn't happen to come out of the Zildjian vault did they?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Drumaholic Drumaholic is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,075
Default Re: Vintge Zildjian Ink Stamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig-dude View Post
These didn't happen to come out of the Zildjian vault did they?
Every cymbal came out of the vault at one time or another.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 AM
drumhack drumhack is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,176
Default Re: Vintge Zildjian Ink Stamp?

So somebody purchased these cymbals, then stored them in a vacuum for seventy years? What an absolutely perfect chain of events to happen for these cymbals to be here, today, in pristine condition.

When someone in the 30's bought a new cymbal, how was it packaged? I guess if cymbals came in a non-porous packaging, the condition of these cymbals would be much easier to justify.

Do not read this as questioning the authenticity of the claims about these cymbals. I just don't know why somebody would buy new cymbals then store them in an oxygen deprived state for seven decades. I would love to hear more about how and why these cymbals are in pristine condition.


toodles,


drumhack
__________________
"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign