Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-13-2013, 09:24 PM
troutstudio troutstudio is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 868
Default Re: Paiste 602 Thin Crash value

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstat View Post
Ha. I was running my database in the other widow while you posted.

And when I say I'm not questioning the "conventional wisdom" that 602s crack more, it's just that I want to focus on the science of why some cymbals crack. I don't want to get into arguments about whether one brand/line cracks more than others. I don't think we will ever get agreement there either. But I keep trying to tease out the evidence and the logic of the arguments.
Thanks mate. PM sent.
__________________
Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
  #22  
Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Drumaholic Drumaholic is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,075
Default Re: Paiste 602 Thin Crash value

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstat View Post
Ha. I was running my database in the other widow while you posted.

And when I say I'm not questioning the "conventional wisdom" that 602s crack more, it's just that I want to focus on the science of why some cymbals crack. I don't want to get into arguments about whether one brand/line cracks more than others. I don't think we will ever get agreement there either. But I keep trying to tease out the evidence and the logic of the arguments.
The explanation that I provided here is about as far as I care to go with this discussion. For those who might prefer a lengthier treatment of this subject, allow me to refer you to this link:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=39004

Just get into this thread until you arrive at the part that deals with this same subject. There you can read to your heart's content.
  #23  
Old 10-13-2013, 10:13 PM
zenstat zenstat is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 1,683
Default Re: Paiste 602 Thin Crash value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumaholic View Post
The explanation that I provided here is about as far as I care to go with this discussion. For those who might prefer a lengthier treatment of this subject, allow me to refer you to this link:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=39004

Just get into this thread until you arrive at the part that deals with this same subject. There you can read to your heart's content.
I'm doubly confused now. That's the thread I pointed you to Bill. Now you are pointing me back to it and saying I am welcome to read it to my heart's content?

My heart wasn't content reading that thread. My heart sunk when I read that thread.
__________________
"The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance" (Robert R Coveyou)

Cymbal Wiki || A one stop shop for all things cymbal
Paiste portal click here || Avedis Zildjian portal click here || K Zildjian Istanbul portal click here
  #24  
Old 10-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Drumaholic Drumaholic is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,075
Default Re: Paiste 602 Thin Crash value

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstat View Post
I'm doubly confused now. That's the thread I pointed you to Bill. Now you are pointing me back to it and saying I am welcome to read it to my heart's content?

My heart wasn't content reading that thread. My heart sunk when I read that thread.
I meant this for everone else's benefit, not yours. As for you, just read it one more time and then you can be triple-ey confused.

Then simply repeat as many times as desired.

Last edited by Drumaholic; 10-15-2013 at 01:28 AM.
  #25  
Old 10-14-2013, 02:25 AM
troutstudio troutstudio is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 868
Default Re: Paiste 602 Thin Crash value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumaholic View Post
I meant this for everone else's benefit, not yours. As for you, just read it one more time and then you can triple-ey confused.

Then simply repeat as many times as desired.
Normal programming will resume eventually, one hopes.
__________________
Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
  #26  
Old 10-14-2013, 03:33 AM
Jon Petersen Jon Petersen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 425
Default Re: Paiste 602 Thin Crash value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumaholic View Post
The explanation that I provided here is about as far as I care to go with this discussion. For those who might prefer a lengthier treatment of this subject, allow me to refer you to this link:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=39004

Just get into this thread until you arrive at the part that deals with this same subject. There you can read to your heart's content.

So, Drumaholic - you base your conviction on Calfskins arguments, it that correct?

When I asked to where you had your information from, it is just because I really want to know if you had a genuine, reliable source for the statement.

If Calfskin is your source, I will remain on the same side of the discussion as Pinksterboer and mr. Paiste, and view Paiste Formula 602 as B20 cymbals made from cast ingots like any other B20 cymbal, except the italian ones.


Jon
  #27  
Old 10-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Drumaholic Drumaholic is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,075
Default Re: Paiste 602 Thin Crash value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Petersen View Post
So, Drumaholic - you base your conviction on Calfskins arguments, it that correct?

When I asked to where you had your information from, it is just because I really want to know if you had a genuine, reliable source for the statement.

If Calfskin is your source, I will remain on the same side of the discussion as Pinksterboer and mr. Paiste, and view Paiste Formula 602 as B20 cymbals made from cast ingots like any other B20 cymbal, except the italian ones.


Jon
Calfskin is not my source.
  #28  
Old 10-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Jon Petersen Jon Petersen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 425
Default Re: Paiste 602 Thin Crash value

What is then your source of knowledge?

Jon
  #29  
Old 10-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Drumaholic Drumaholic is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,075
Default Re: Paiste 602 Thin Crash value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Petersen View Post
What is then your source of knowledge?

Jon
One source was the The Cymbal Book although I don't have a copy readily available to refer to.
  #30  
Old 10-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Jon Petersen Jon Petersen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 425
Default Re: Paiste 602 Thin Crash value

Neither have I - regrettably, "mine" was from the library.

But I must have read it in another way than you did, because I got the impression that Paiste DID make the 602s exactly the same way as Zildjian et al.

To quote Zenstats qoute from the cymbal book:

"My evidence for multi way rolling comes from Pinksterboer p215

Quote:
The Paiste Sound Alloy is, just like B20, rolled in different directions"

But hey - I will not say I know. I am just very surprised that first Calfskin and now you say that you know. And most surprisingly, know something that is at best somewhat at odds with what most other people seem to think.

Including me, after reading Pinksterboer.


Calfskin doesnīt seem to accept 602īs as made from B20 - what do you think about that?

Apparently, he also thinks itīs wrong to say Zildjian Aīs are made from B20, as Zildjian sometimes claim to adding a little silver to the alloy - and then it is apparently not B20....

So - what to think?


Regards

Jon
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign