Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 09-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Zildjian 26" ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfskin View Post
one would think, that some of the skills and possibly artisans that worked in the K.Zildjian factory towards the end are still alive and well in some of the other Turkish factories. this whole thread ,so far ,pretty much focuses on 3 cymbal makers but Turkish smiths are known to have worked with Meinl and there are still some fine Italian cymbals. ----- there are about 4 small but major makers in Turkey and many others, from what I have seen and heard. some of the hammering on some of these cymbals is still pretty fine.
If they wanted to, Zildjian could either buy one of those Turkish foundries outright and/or hire some workers and bring them to the USA. They just don't have the interest in hand hammering at this time.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
one would think, that some of the skills and possibly artisans that worked in the K.Zildjian factory towards the end are still alive and well in some of the other Turkish factories..

Right. Like those 2 guys...what's their names again??

Oh yeah, Agop and Mehmet. But happen to be the only ones.

Quote:
This whole thread ,so far ,pretty much focuses on 3 cymbal makers but Turkish smiths are known to have worked with Meinl and there are still some fine Italian cymbals. ----- there are about 4 small but major makers in Turkey and many others, from what I have seen and heard. some of the hammering on some of these cymbals is still pretty fine.
And so it may be, but that's not everything. Because they still use a softer bronze than Zildjian does, there's a difference.

Hand hammering plus bronze made with the Zildjian proprietary treatment.....that's the magic combination.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Both Agop and Mehmet are alive and well?

News to me...........
Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairndrums View Post
Both Agop and Mehmet are alive and well?

News to me...........
I just put that out as an illustration of the two former K. Zildjian employees who went on after the K. Zildjian company closed. I never said they were both alive.

By the way, how's the deal for that 24" A progressing?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

maha las bene a fucihama woob woob woob wob moe larry cheese they also sell used chairiots

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.