Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2020, 02:25 PM
vyacheslav vyacheslav is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,566
Default A Zildjian Cie "Vintage" Cymbals from the 2000's

Hello,

Just to clarify, I am speaking about the cymbals that were labeled as A. Zildjian & Cie Vintage ink stamps that came out in the late 90's or early 2000's (that is pictured below). I am NOT Talking about the brilliant finish models that were from the 70's that tended to be on the heavier side.

I tried to do a search here on the forum under "Cie" or "CIE", and I got no results in either case.

Can someone give me a refresher of when these cymbals were available? If I remember correctly, didn't they end up turning into the "Armand" Series? I know that had a laser engraved Armand Zildjian signature on the bottom (I own the 20" Ride, 15" Crash and 14" hats).
Does anyone recall what additional sizes were available (beside the ones listed above)? If I remember correctly, they offered 16" 17" and 18" crashes as well. Am I forgetting any?

Thanks a lot for your help!

V
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x10fpgnm7gzpojugkoko.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	132098  
__________________
**Looking for a Ludwig Keystone 14" Blue Sparkle Floor Tom**

Last edited by vyacheslav; 08-23-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2020, 04:57 PM
O-Lugs O-Lugs is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,596
Default Re: A Zildjian Cie "Vintage" Cymbals from the 2000's

I have a set of them and love them. I think they are the best A's ever made. I have two 20" rides, an 18" crash and a set of 14" hi hats. I don't know if they offered a 16" pr not or if they renamed them later, but I love them. They are light and have gorgeous, controllable wash. They are "soft" sounding compared to a lot of A's. Definitely not for loud, aggressive players. I used them a lot on my jazz gigs and recordings. LOVE 'em!
__________________
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2020, 10:59 PM
jda jda is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jeannette Pa.
Posts: 686
Default Re: A Zildjian Cie "Vintage" Cymbals from the 2000's

the old A & Cie original brilliants weren't all I heavy ( I just picked up an 18" at 1445g

very low (almost symphonic low) pitch...)
__________________
.................................................. ......Joe
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2020, 03:11 AM
Drumaholic Drumaholic is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,300
Default Re: A Zildjian Cie "Vintage" Cymbals from the 2000's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
the old A & Cie original brilliants weren't all I heavy ( I just picked up an 18" at 1445g

very low (almost symphonic low) pitch...)
You're lucky to have found that one. So was I when I found a 20" at 1950g.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2020, 04:11 PM
Morgatto Morgatto is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 92
Default Re: A Zildjian Cie "Vintage" Cymbals from the 2000's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
Hello,

Just to clarify, I am speaking about the cymbals that were labeled as A. Zildjian & Cie Vintage ink stamps that came out in the late 90's or early 2000's (that is pictured below). I am NOT Talking about the brilliant finish models that were from the 70's that tended to be on the heavier side.

I tried to do a search here on the forum under "Cie" or "CIE", and I got no results in either case.

Can someone give me a refresher of when these cymbals were available? If I remember correctly, didn't they end up turning into the "Armand" Series? I know that had a laser engraved Armand Zildjian signature on the bottom (I own the 20" Ride, 15" Crash and 14" hats).
Does anyone recall what additional sizes were available (beside the ones listed above)? If I remember correctly, they offered 16" 17" and 18" crashes as well. Am I forgetting any?

Thanks a lot for your help!

V
I think there was a 14" crash too. I have a 16" crash and I love it.
Here's a short review of the series:

http://www.chipstern.com/chip_musical_zildjian.htm
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2020, 02:48 AM
O-Lugs O-Lugs is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,596
Default Re: A Zildjian Cie "Vintage" Cymbals from the 2000's

Oh yeah, I DO remember that Armand one, now. I had forgotten about it and it was kinda separated in the marketing from the other ones. I only remember that I had become fed up with all the super bright sounding A's that were being put out at the time....and then I tapped on the 18" A. Cie vintage crash and I think I bought it on the spot....and followed up shortly after with the 20" and the hi hat set....No looking back after that. They instantly became my gigging/recording cymbals. I bought a second 20" a bit later and then they discontinued the line....which was fine with me because it made having a set all that much more exclusive! Carrying them around din a gig bag was a different experience, too, because they were SO much lighter in weight than most regular A's.
__________________
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2020, 01:57 PM
O-Lugs O-Lugs is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,596
Default Re: A Zildjian Cie "Vintage" Cymbals from the 2000's

I knew they'd be discontinued because of how high they were priced. But it did prove that Zildjian COULD still make good sounding cymbals.
__________________
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2020, 05:37 PM
Drumaholic Drumaholic is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,300
Default Re: A Zildjian Cie "Vintage" Cymbals from the 2000's

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Lugs View Post
I knew they'd be discontinued because of how high they were priced. But it did prove that Zildjian COULD still make good sounding cymbals.
How did they compare to the Constantinoples price-wise?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-30-2020, 12:14 AM
O-Lugs O-Lugs is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,596
Default Re: A Zildjian Cie "Vintage" Cymbals from the 2000's

I never priced any Constantinoples. The ones I played seems heavy and clangy so I didn't pursue anything more about them. I seem to remember paying around $450 for my A & Cie. ride...I think the hi hats were ~$550 and I figure the 18" crash was probably around $400. I have no idea how that compared to Constantinoples but maybe someone knows.
__________________
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign