Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 03-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Let's talk snare drums

Alright fellow forum members, do you guys like to have a variety of snare drums, or do feel the need to stick with mainly one or two to acheive "your sound"?

I guess I just like too many different sounds to only have one or two. I tend to like metals and maples. What do you guys think? I'm talking both new and vintage, and specifically this is geared towards the gigging drummer.

Last edited by AtlantaDrumGuy; 03-08-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Let's talk snare drums

I'd say it depends if the individual is playing a variety of music. I have a bunch of snares, some just for the sake of having them, but those 'classic must have's' that I have in heavy rotation:

Slingerland COB Sound King/Krupa
Luddy 400 and 402
Slingerland artist (mine's a solid shell)
Rogers Dyna
Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

I have over 40. However, I use these the most:
Ludwig 5x14 Supra '98
Ludwig 5x14 Jazz Fest '65
Ludwig 6-1/2x14 Bronze Supra
Premier 5-1/2x14 Genista Birch
Yamaha 5-1/2x14 Bamboo
Slingerland 8x14 Magnum 5-ply 80's
Slingerland 50's RK 5x14

Other Supra's and Black Beauties make appearances, as do models from Mapex, Pearl, and Rogers, but these get the most use. They are live and studio friendly, and get compliments frequently. I don't really have a "sound" per se, but if I did, most people would associate me with the deep Slingy.

Dan
Old 03-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

i have 3 currently I use and love
Slingerland COB Krupa
Ludwig Supra 400
Gretsch Catalina Club 13x7
Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'm of the "I have quite a few snares" camp. I certainly WISH I were content with just 3 or 4, but in trying out lots of different snares, I have come to appreciate the variety, the nuances, the character of each different snare I have chosen to keep. I rotate which snare is on the stand based on the gig and how I'm feeling that night.

If you believe you have found THE snare for you, then by all means, congratulations! Consider yourself lucky! The rest of us, in our seemingly never-ending quest for the perfect snare sound will continue to store and upkeep multiple snare drums...
Old 03-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'm at 12 right now...ludwigs, yamahas, and a radio king...seems like a reasonable number to me! I like various metals and wood drums of different sizes, but my preference is nothing less than 5" deep. I stay away from shallow drums now...

Last edited by AtlantaDrumGuy; 03-09-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Most interesting, I'm not suprised that most guys here have a large collection, I'm trying to control my OCD behavior toward snare purchases till the Chicago Drum show. I just sold a few snares that I did not care for, I'm going to be a little picky when I buy my next 10 snares, which I want to do on a 3K budget. I know you can buy 30 snares or 3 good ones for that amount.
I would like a carbon fiber, titanium, fibes, Sling SK, anothe RK, maybe a coupkle of Lidwigs (acrolite, supra) some brass snares, wood snares, I would like to try a 40 snare band to see how that sounds. (did I go over 3K yet? LOL)
suprisingly my gig snare right now is a 70 sling 5 x 14 aluminum. the drum cracks, people cant believe it. But after may 20th I'll be swimming in snares.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Never collected snares never felt I needed any other sound from a snare other than a 400 supra and in later years a 402,am at the moment playing my first wood snare but it is not the same as a supra always recorded for that live sound and to get that you must record with what you play live with, just the school I went to but I love lookin at all them snares lined up on a rack just something cool about that...
Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
Never collected snares never felt I needed any other sound from a snare other than a 400 supra and in later years a 402,am at the moment playing my first wood snare but it is not the same as a supra always recorded for that live sound and to get that you must record with what you play live with, just the school I went to but I love lookin at all them snares lined up on a rack just something cool about that...
The Supra will and has always been the go-to snare for me even though I have about 40 in my collection.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdrum View Post
The Supra will and has always been the go-to snare for me even though I have about 40 in my collection.
Right on. I'm picking up my first LM400. Already have the 402 and the 5x14 COB.