Old 01-09-2018, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Vintage Pearl Wood Fiberglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by tris66 View Post
longjohn, with all respect, I think you should recheck that info. The fiberglass and phenolic are different shells.... different materials. I have both and they are different in their makeup. Also, the phenolic shells started in the mid 1960's. I think you are right on your estimate of the age of this kit, though.
Hello! Thanks for the info! Is it possible to see if my concert toms are fiberglass or phenolic from the pictures?
Old 01-09-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Yep, you are correct, (one or the other) My oversight.. but I did slip in "Phenolic " Dyna family toms ?

The BD & FT are Wood/Fibreglass lined..

Note I was working for Pearl in the 70's whilst these kits were all the rage, the phenolic shells are outstanding sound wise.. whilst IMO the wood/fibreglass were heavy & tone dead.

Cheers
John
Hello! Thanks for the info! Is it possible to see if my concert toms are fiberglass or phenolic from the pictures?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 PM

Awesome story-time!

A couple of months ago I was out partying and drinking beer in town. I stumbled into the local pub and in the corner sat an old school rock n' roll soul and hero of mine, PEZ.

Pez is the drummer in the ultimate Motörhead tribute band, Bömbers. He is a skinny and humble fella that bashes the drums like a truck!

Bömbers was formed in the summer of 1996 by Abbath (Immortal), Pez (Punishment Park/Jef) and Tore (Old Funeral/The Batallion).

At this time I had just met Pez a couple of times when I was partying with Abbath. I sat down with Pez and we started talking about everything and anything. Motorhead, touring, concerts, bull**** etc. We eventually ended up talking about drums and I was eager to show him pictures of my new Wood Fiberglass kit.

Pez looked at the pictures, looked at me and said - "Well, damn! I used this kit back in the day when I was playing in Punishment Park! This exact kit! I haven't seen this kit in years!"

I could not belive it! One of my idols and a badass drummer had rocked my kit back when I was just a little brat! I love the fact that my kit have some old rock n' roll ghosts, and that it has been confirmed by the man himself!

But wait! It gets better.. Much better!

Pez took a sip from his beer and suddenly had a wondering look on his face. He then hits me with this bomb!:

Pez - "You know what? I got the 8" and 10" Pearl concert toms WITH the original stand lying somewhere in my garage. They have been lying there for years and I want you to have them! Come visit me tomorrow and pick'em up."

I was absolutley stocked! Pez just gave me these rare vintage toms for FREE! They sound awesome and I still use the old heads that Pez used to play!

That was a fun night and an awesome memory. A memory I am taking with me to the grave! We drank alot of beers that night!

My favorite rock n' roll memory!

Here are some pictures of my current setup! She's a beauty! Since my first post I have gotten ahold of an 18" Wood Fiberglass floor tom, some ****ty vintage Pearl snare and the 8" and 10" concert toms.

I also have gotten ahold of a second 22" Wood Fiberglass kick-drum, a 13" and 14" Wood Fiberglass tom (same red finish and resonant heads)

I am building the ultimate vintage Pearl MONSTER kit!

Check out Bömbers if you like Motörhead!
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Bomberst...=page_internal

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z62NArGII3A"]Bömbers - Bomber/Back at The Funny Farm LIVE at Metal Magic VIII (2015) - YouTube[/ame]

Best regards Slick Iverson
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-22-2018, 11:02 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hey... glad to find a discussion on these FG and WFG drums! I love 'em!
First of all, let me say the spurs are newer, 'Forum' series spurs; not original to the drum. However, I'm 99% sure original ones would fit back into the original holes and cover the incorrect spurs/installation.
Pearl had a specific set of spurs they used in the 70s, with two variations (but with the same hole pattern): The early to mid 70s version had a round knob, and the later 70s version had a T-handle. In the very early 80s they introduced another type with a slightly different hole pattern... and then used that one for the next 20+ years. That hole pattern fits the similar Gibraltar spurs you can buy new today.
As for the construction of the WFG shells, they were a 9-ply shell with a coating of fiberglass sprayed on the inside. The exteriors of the shells (under the wrap) were almost always a cheap luan or mahogany, but sometimes birch. In other words, I think they used what was available at the time.
In the early, early 70s the fiberglass on the inside was a tan-colored type of thing, but for the most part the lining was white. The trick is that the white sometimes will yellow just like white wrap will... so sometimes it's hard to tell if the color is original or just yellowed white. I hope that made sense.
Now, as for the concert toms:
The phenolic shells were originally available in the President line in the late sixties, and was replaced by the FG shells of the 1970s/early 80s. The phenolic shells are similar to the FG (even in sound, IMO) but had a distinctive maroon (or sometime seen as a dark brown) interior (same as what you will find under the wrap). The FG shells are a tan-type color. Some of the confusion about the two shell types is that when Pearl made the switch from phenolic to FG around 1970 it is understood that they had a warehouse full of these unused shells. So, they began using them up primarily with their vari-pitch shells (mid-70s) and also some of their concert tom sets that were marketed primarily to schools throughout the 1970s.
These appear to be phenolic because of the color -- but that sometimes can be misleading due to improper lighting in pictures. So I couldn't tell for sure without more pics or seeing them in person.
As for value... that's a hard one as well. Like vintage Slingerland drums, they will NEVER have the resale value of vintage Ludwigs, which is a shame. I picked up a set like this in all-FG shells a short time back for less than $200. And only got a little over $400 after I restored it (cleaned it up and replaced broken parts, new heads).
I hope this helps.
BTW, this info is from old catalogs (I think I've got them all!) as well as years of hands-on experience in restoring these babies. I know it's been awhile since I posted anything on this forum...
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Old 02-22-2018, 11:04 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

BTW -- based upon the fact of what appears to be a factory installed 7/8 tube double tom holder, the correct spurs would have a T-handle and not a knob...
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Old 02-23-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnvick View Post
Hey... glad to find a discussion on these FG and WFG drums! I love 'em!
First of all, let me say the spurs are newer, 'Forum' series spurs; not original to the drum. However, I'm 99% sure original ones would fit back into the original holes and cover the incorrect spurs/installation.
Pearl had a specific set of spurs they used in the 70s, with two variations (but with the same hole pattern): The early to mid 70s version had a round knob, and the later 70s version had a T-handle. In the very early 80s they introduced another type with a slightly different hole pattern... and then used that one for the next 20+ years. That hole pattern fits the similar Gibraltar spurs you can buy new today.
As for the construction of the WFG shells, they were a 9-ply shell with a coating of fiberglass sprayed on the inside. The exteriors of the shells (under the wrap) were almost always a cheap luan or mahogany, but sometimes birch. In other words, I think they used what was available at the time.
In the early, early 70s the fiberglass on the inside was a tan-colored type of thing, but for the most part the lining was white. The trick is that the white sometimes will yellow just like white wrap will... so sometimes it's hard to tell if the color is original or just yellowed white. I hope that made sense.
Now, as for the concert toms:
The phenolic shells were originally available in the President line in the late sixties, and was replaced by the FG shells of the 1970s/early 80s. The phenolic shells are similar to the FG (even in sound, IMO) but had a distinctive maroon (or sometime seen as a dark brown) interior (same as what you will find under the wrap). The FG shells are a tan-type color. Some of the confusion about the two shell types is that when Pearl made the switch from phenolic to FG around 1970 it is understood that they had a warehouse full of these unused shells. So, they began using them up primarily with their vari-pitch shells (mid-70s) and also some of their concert tom sets that were marketed primarily to schools throughout the 1970s.
These appear to be phenolic because of the color -- but that sometimes can be misleading due to improper lighting in pictures. So I couldn't tell for sure without more pics or seeing them in person.
As for value... that's a hard one as well. Like vintage Slingerland drums, they will NEVER have the resale value of vintage Ludwigs, which is a shame. I picked up a set like this in all-FG shells a short time back for less than $200. And only got a little over $400 after I restored it (cleaned it up and replaced broken parts, new heads).
I hope this helps.
BTW, this info is from old catalogs (I think I've got them all!) as well as years of hands-on experience in restoring these babies. I know it's been awhile since I posted anything on this forum...
Thank you so much for the info!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:26 PM

My vintage monster kit is almost complete! I am only missing the 12" Phenolic or fiberglass concert tom! This kit is so much fun! I recently got ahold of the 6" fiberglass concert tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-25-2019, 02:50 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via AIM to seantdrums
Billnvick i found your info very interesteing as ive just bought a pearl kit complete. 22 12 13 16 plus i reckon steel snare. The shells are fiber glass. Never owned pearl drums until now. Plus some great info and vids from all other members. Slickiverson your kit looks very cool. Any new add ons since your last reply.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:10 PM

Hello! Long time, no see.

I am only missing the 10" and 12" phenolic (they are currently fiberglass) and a red 18" wood fiberglass floor tom. I bought a rack also. Looks absolutely badass! So much fun!
Attached Thumbnails

Tags
fiberglass , pearl , vintage , wood