Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 11-05-2018, 12:09 PM

Default what snare to match a premier signia kit?

hi folks
a maple or brass signia snare is top of my wish list to go with my signia kit in cherry; sizes are 8,10,12,14,16 with a 22 kick. the closest in tone, volume, responsiveness and projection i have played is the 5.5" pearl brass free-floating snare and i've bought a maple shell for it from a drum builder which i'm in the process of oiling and waxing.
i've been through quite a few snares trying to find a good match for the kit and my old premier 2000 deserves a bit of a mention in that it sounds great with everything. can anyone chime in with some substitution suggestions for a snare-less signia kit?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: what snare to match a premier signia kit?

What about a royal ace?
Zildjians
Old 11-28-2018, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

I've got a Premier Signia kit with the 5.5 x 14 maple Signia snare which is a monster snare. At first the snap and sound out of it was overwhelming, but it's grown on me. I've also only played an early 80's 1005? model metal 5 x 14 Premier snare that I love. I'd stack that Premier snare up against any of the Ludalloy 60's- 70's supraphonic snares from Ludwig, and I've got two of those. Premier also offers a 6.5" x 14 metal snare but I haven't spent enough time with that to form an opinion - looks good with the kit if you want to keep it all in the family! Hang on to those Signia drums - I think they deserve to be future classic collectables - love the sound and build quality.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Why not just look for a matching Signia maple snare? I've got a Signia kit also, same color and very similar setup as yours, and I love my 5.5 x 14. Mine did not come with the die cast top hoop, so I took both die cast hoops from my Pearl free floater, and they are a perfect match. Depending on the sound you're going for, you might look for a 7 x 14 Signia, which is a little warmer and fatter, and a little less crisp than the 5.5. Or you might like one of the special edition 5.5 x 14 Signias with the wood hoops, which is very bright and warm. The 7 x 14 might be hard to come by, but it's a really beautiful sounding drum. Definitely on my wish list.

*Side note - if you're ever looking to sell your 8 x 8, PM me.