Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-06-2020, 10:07 PM
DrumBob DrumBob is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: New Bearing Edges for MIJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySticks View Post
So, I drove up to Precision early this morning, 89 miles from Queens, and met up with George, one of the owners and the guy that does most of the work. Super nice guy, and he took me and my kit right in and began working about 30 minutes before they even open up. Cool! The shells definitely needed work as they were all wobbly on a flat surface and one of the re rings needed repair. He flattened the surface and then mitered in the edge, rounded with a 45 degree to the outside. My 3 toms and snare took about 90 minutes and he even cleaned up the snare bed, no charge.

So I got them home and set them up with the heavy hoops and Calftones heads, and I have to say, the transformation is huge. They tune really nice, high or low, which was a problem before and they really ring true from the stick hit till they fade away. No more wonkiness and the sound is smooth all the way through. They sound super tight with good resonance, even sound and a wonderful warm tone. I think this final step has wrung out every bit of good sound these drums could put out. Very cool!

So count me in as a proponent of re doing your bearing edges. And go to Precision, they do great work!
__________________
'01 DW Collectors, Oyster White, 10/12/14/16/22
'64 Slingerland, 13/16/20/22 (to be restored)
'65 Leedy, Blue Sparkle, 12/14/20
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/16/22
'74 Slingerland Gold Sparkle, 13/14/18/24
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60's Stewart, Gold Glass Glitter, 12/13/16/22
'00's Tama Swingstar, White Satin Flame, 12/13/16/22

Author, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Trilok_Gurtu Trilok_Gurtu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 317
Default Re: New Bearing Edges for MIJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySticks View Post
So, I drove up to Precision early this morning, 89 miles from Queens, and met up with George, one of the owners and the guy that does most of the work. Super nice guy, and he took me and my kit right in and began working about 30 minutes before they even open up. Cool! The shells definitely needed work as they were all wobbly on a flat surface and one of the re rings needed repair. He flattened the surface and then mitered in the edge, rounded with a 45 degree to the outside. My 3 toms and snare took about 90 minutes and he even cleaned up the snare bed, no charge.

So I got them home and set them up with the heavy hoops and Calftones heads, and I have to say, the transformation is huge. They tune really nice, high or low, which was a problem before and they really ring true from the stick hit till they fade away. No more wonkiness and the sound is smooth all the way through. They sound super tight with good resonance, even sound and a wonderful warm tone. I think this final step has wrung out every bit of good sound these drums could put out. Very cool!

So count me in as a proponent of re doing your bearing edges. And go to Precision, they do great work!
Told ya Seriously though, great to hear.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-07-2020, 08:21 AM
JimmySticks JimmySticks is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 599
Default Re: New Bearing Edges for MIJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilok_Gurtu View Post
Told ya Seriously though, great to hear.
Yes you did, and thank you for doing so! That's why I'm here, to learn.

I saw that you were a big proponent of redoing the edges of the MIJ kits and had done several with great results, so I figured why not? And now that I've had it done, I can't see why anyone would hesitate. Even most of the vintage American brands had wonky edges, but a lot of guys hesitate to do them. I'd say do it, you'll be glad you did!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-07-2020, 06:21 PM
JDragon JDragon is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 104
Default Re: New Bearing Edges for MIJ

Congrats on saving another kit! Making them playable is what it's all about....
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-07-2020, 07:12 PM
JimmySticks JimmySticks is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 599
Default Re: New Bearing Edges for MIJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDragon View Post
Congrats on saving another kit! Making them playable is what it's all about....
Thanks, I think I've rung every bit of good out of this kit, and it's been a great ride and a lot of fun. This kit can gig now, I'm sure.

While the red glitter wrap is good on this kit, I saw some beautiful tourquoise glass glitter that would look killer on it. Maybe that's next!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-08-2020, 12:01 PM
DrumBob DrumBob is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: New Bearing Edges for MIJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySticks View Post
Thanks, I think I've rung every bit of good out of this kit, and it's been a great ride and a lot of fun. This kit can gig now, I'm sure.

While the red glitter wrap is good on this kit, I saw some beautiful tourquoise glass glitter that would look killer on it. Maybe that's next!
I would be cautious about sinking too much money into a 60's MIJ set, because if you ever decide to sell them, you will NEVER recoup your investment. Have you totaled up a dollar figure on a complete recover? I would estimate $500-600 if you have Precision do it, and there's no way the drums are worth that much. You've already had the edges trued up, so there's your first investment. I'd leave the drums alone, but that's just my opinion, based on experience. They look good in red anyway.
__________________
'01 DW Collectors, Oyster White, 10/12/14/16/22
'64 Slingerland, 13/16/20/22 (to be restored)
'65 Leedy, Blue Sparkle, 12/14/20
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/16/22
'74 Slingerland Gold Sparkle, 13/14/18/24
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60's Stewart, Gold Glass Glitter, 12/13/16/22
'00's Tama Swingstar, White Satin Flame, 12/13/16/22

Author, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-08-2020, 12:25 PM
JimmySticks JimmySticks is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 599
Default Re: New Bearing Edges for MIJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
I would be cautious about sinking too much money into a 60's MIJ set, because if you ever decide to sell them, you will NEVER recoup your investment. Have you totaled up a dollar figure on a complete recover? I would estimate $500-600 if you have Precision do it, and there's no way the drums are worth that much. You've already had the edges trued up, so there's your first investment. I'd leave the drums alone, but that's just my opinion, based on experience. They look good in red anyway.
It's just idle chatter on my part...but ain't it pretty!!!?

Heck, it even looks good on the emoji!!!>

Experimenting with drumheads, new hoops and now the edges being redone has already put me in the red for this kit, but I'm ok with that, I have the sound I want now. It's been fun as well! And yes, if Precision was to recover these drums it would cost 5 -600 bucks. Way more than I would go for on this kit, especially considering the red glitter still looks real nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200308_131050909.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	130106  
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-08-2020, 08:39 PM
DrumBob DrumBob is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: New Bearing Edges for MIJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySticks View Post
It's just idle chatter on my part...but ain't it pretty!!!?

Heck, it even looks good on the emoji!!!>

Experimenting with drumheads, new hoops and now the edges being redone has already put me in the red for this kit, but I'm ok with that, I have the sound I want now. It's been fun as well! And yes, if Precision was to recover these drums it would cost 5 -600 bucks. Way more than I would go for on this kit, especially considering the red glitter still looks real nice.
One of the nice things about going up to Precision is looking through their stock of wraps. I found colors and patterns they no longer advertise for sale; stuff that was left over. That's how I got my old Slingerland snare recovered in Capri Pearl. They had a small quantity left that had been ordered by a customer and he hadn't paid them completely for it. When I asked if I could use a bit of it for my drum, they agreed. Done. I used that snare on the gig last night.
__________________
'01 DW Collectors, Oyster White, 10/12/14/16/22
'64 Slingerland, 13/16/20/22 (to be restored)
'65 Leedy, Blue Sparkle, 12/14/20
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/16/22
'74 Slingerland Gold Sparkle, 13/14/18/24
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60's Stewart, Gold Glass Glitter, 12/13/16/22
'00's Tama Swingstar, White Satin Flame, 12/13/16/22

Author, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-09-2020, 10:02 AM
JimmySticks JimmySticks is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 599
Default Re: New Bearing Edges for MIJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
One of the nice things about going up to Precision is looking through their stock of wraps. I found colors and patterns they no longer advertise for sale; stuff that was left over. That's how I got my old Slingerland snare recovered in Capri Pearl. They had a small quantity left that had been ordered by a customer and he hadn't paid them completely for it. When I asked if I could use a bit of it for my drum, they agreed. Done. I used that snare on the gig last night.
Yeah, that's where I found the tourquoise piece, in his scrap pile. He has some crazy nice custom wraps to, and can pretty much make the custom wrap of your dreams, but man, you pay for them!

For an NYC guy like me, the yellow checker taxi wrap was just the coolest wrap ever!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-28-2020, 02:17 PM
Drummerjohn333 Drummerjohn333 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,411
Default Re: New Bearing Edges for MIJ

I might be the odd man out - but I believe this advice (that this thread concludes) applies to ALL drums regardless of what make. Why not give it a chance to perform the way that the designer intended?

I have a birthyear 1971 Slingerland kit in Sky Blue Pearl. YUP - I will recut the edges on the FT - new heads....eventually developed headbuzz. That is the alarm - though I would describe it as the drum asking for help!
__________________
I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bearing edges , gambles drums , mij , restoration

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign