Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 05-28-2018, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Default Crazy Good snare...

Hi all, had a very good weekend, Had a question for you expert guru guys. Went t a music concert here in North Carolina, and this guy was playing a Rogers Dynasonic, ( I think ). This thing was one of the best sounding drums I have ever heard, I know the wooden Dynasonics are very expensive but what about the new ones? Do they sound as if they were made of gold? I am a Slingy guy, and I love the way mine sound, but I could not believe the sound that was coming from this drum. I know I can't afford the cost of the older ones, just wasn't sure about the new ones. Also, how do they sound up against a Ludwig Black Beauty?
Thanks, Bucky
Old 05-28-2018, 07:00 PM
8upwithit

Default Re: Crazy Good snare...

I'm not a guru or even a Rogers expert by any means, but I do know this: my brass Dynasonic has a sound that none of my other drums have. I know it's not the sound of a wood Dyna, but it is special. When I first started playing, my favorite snare drum sound was Buddy Rich's from live recordings at The Chez, Ceasar's Palace and other venues in around 1967 or so. It wasn't until many years later that I learned (from the preeminent expert on this forum, TommyP) that he was playing Rogers at the time, and that it was indeed a Dynasonic (a wood one, not brass however).
As to how they compare to a Black Beauty, I don't know, but it seems that's apples to oranges, since the Dyna that you heard was wood, and Black Beauties are metal. I do know that the sound of my Dyna ( playing skill notwithstanding) reminds me of the sound of Buddy's during that time period, and I'm proud to have a drum that sounds like that. Crazy good is an apt description.