Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 01-18-2018, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

Default That Istanbul K Hi Hat Sound

Hi there - I need some advice please.

I own an intermediate stamp 14" Istanbul K cymbal weighing around the 1200g mark. I've been looking for years for a lighter old K 14" top and have been unable to find one at a price that makes sense (taking into account that shipping from anywhere in the world to South Africa is very pricey).

I'm looking for that dryish, woody, dark old K sound but it seems as if I may have to compromise somewhere. I own various 14" hi hats - mainly Paiste 602, 2002 and Signature, and a set of A Custom Hi hats.

The 3 tops that I own and that I have identified that may possibly work with the K bottom to produce a sound similar to that "old K" sound would be a Paiste Dark Energy hi hat top (B15), A Custom top (unlikely because ... well, it's an A Custom) or a pre-serial 602 hi hat top.

To those in the know - which of these 3 would you think would resemble the old K sound most closely. The Dark Energy is rather darkish and dryish but is a different alloy - the 602 have mellowed out nicely over the years with nice dark patina and is quite light.

Please bear in mind that I have never played or even heard in person, Istanbul K hats and base my quest on the sounds that I hear on old jazz recordings with Philly Joe Jones, Jack DeJohnette, Tony Williams etc. That dark dryinsh woody sound - I'm sure you guys know what I mean. Yes, I know that I'm probably chasing a pipedream here but its worth a try :-)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Erik

Last edited by Black Label; 01-18-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: That Istanbul K Hi Hat Sound

Try K Custom Dark. The older and nastier looking the better.

You can sometimes find orphans but my favorite set these days is a set of these that were all green stained and flea bitten cast offs I found at GC when I wasn’t even looking for hats. 13” in my case but the 14’s are nice too.

My other hats are 14” new beats and 15” former field cymbals. I gues it was justified as I “needed” 13” hats...
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Senditive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Oak (6X13!); DW collectors 5-1/2X14 maple; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Old 01-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Agop sig, green label.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:24 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
Hi there - I need some advice please.

I own an intermediate stamp 14" Istanbul K cymbal weighing around the 1200g mark. I've been looking for years for a lighter old K 14" top and have been unable to find one at a price that makes sense (taking into account that shipping from anywhere in the world to South Africa is very pricey).

I'm looking for that dryish, woody, dark old K sound but it seems as if I may have to compromise somewhere. I own various 14" hi hats - mainly Paiste 602, 2002 and Signature, and a set of A Custom Hi hats.

The 3 tops that I own and that I have identified that may possibly work with the K bottom to produce a sound similar to that "old K" sound would be a Paiste Dark Energy hi hat top (B15), A Custom top (unlikely because ... well, it's an A Custom) or a pre-serial 602 hi hat top.

To those in the know - which of these 3 would you think would resemble the old K sound most closely. The Dark Energy is rather darkish and dryish but is a different alloy - the 602 have mellowed out nicely over the years with nice dark patina and is quite light.

Please bear in mind that I have never played or even heard in person, Istanbul K hats and base my quest on the sounds that I hear on old jazz recordings with Philly Joe Jones, Jack DeJohnette, Tony Williams etc. That dark dryinsh woody sound - I'm sure you guys know what I mean. Yes, I know that I'm probably chasing a pipedream here but its worth a try :-)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Erik

If you want a "Rolls",..you have to buy a "Rolls."

If Philly, Jack or Tony stepped off their HH, it would open up about 4 or 5 inches. I say that because that jazz sound comes more from foot than Bronze.

For the most part Philly always stepped his close and held that, then used to "up" motion to change the sound of his hats. Jack, for the most part kept his open and used "down" to change the sound of his hats. Tony, now he kept foot tension on his but with the backs touching and the front open about a quarter or so inch. He was more of a sloshy hat sound.

The sound you seek from the K`s, that`s an artist with a hammer deciding this one sounds just right,...or, these two are good.

I would put the K on top and the fill in substitute on the bottom for stick reasons.

......You did say any input is welcome......

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 01-20-2018, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
If you want a "Rolls",..you have to buy a "Rolls."

If Philly, Jack or Tony stepped off their HH, it would open up about 4 or 5 inches. I say that because that jazz sound comes more from foot than Bronze.

For the most part Philly always stepped his close and held that, then used to "up" motion to change the sound of his hats. Jack, for the most part kept his open and used "down" to change the sound of his hats. Tony, now he kept foot tension on his but with the backs touching and the front open about a quarter or so inch. He was more of a sloshy hat sound.

The sound you seek from the K`s, that`s an artist with a hammer deciding this one sounds just right,...or, these two are good.

I would put the K on top and the fill in substitute on the bottom for stick reasons.

......You did say any input is welcome......
Thanks Oddball - very interesting info. I took your advice and paired the old K with a Paiste Signature Power hat top of similar weight as a bottom hat and they sound sweet. Very crisp but dark sounding. Very nice foot chick as well.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:29 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I wasn’t clear in my reply but was suggesting a k custom dark as a mate for the old k.
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Senditive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Oak (6X13!); DW collectors 5-1/2X14 maple; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo