Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 11-30-2020, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Talking Ajax B&H catalogs? Need help identifying a drum kit :)

Hey guys, been a long time since I posted. Good to see the community is still going strong!

Anyway- I have gotten possession of an old Ajax B&H drum kit while I was in Ireland, and I've finally gotten it back home to refurbish. I'm happy to say that I have managed to get the shells back in-round (real nail-biter!) and now comes the task of identifying and refurbishing all the hardware, etc.
  • Does anyone know what era of kit this is, or what kind of kit this is?
  • Does anyone know what the two holes near the batter side of the bass drum are for? It looks a little rough in the drill holes on the inside, so this may have been a previous owner who drilled them- but who knows. There are approx. 5.5cm center-to-center. (see image 4)

I am putting together a video where I will be showing everything I've done so far. But Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Link to the pictures.

Here are a couple highlights:

Last edited by Boomstick; 11-30-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Ajax B&H catalogs? Need help identifying a drum kit :)

Last edited by Boomstick; 11-30-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:05 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

The badge is post WWII.

I think they are a line of Edgware and Stratford when B&H was running four lines which would put them before 67.

I think,....

got that here http://ukdrums.weebly.com/edgware--s...d-1957-67.html

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 12-04-2020, 07:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

They could be the De-luxe line but that's the only other earlier line with drop style lugs.

http://ukdrums.weebly.com/ajax-1935-67.html

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 12-07-2020, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome guys, thanks so much!

I think these are De-Luxe, as the floor tom is super deep (18" deep for a 16" diameter drum).

What perplexes me the most is those floor tom mounts. Would this then be a 1950's set?

And also, 7 lugs per side of a 21" bass drum?

Progress report: So far the steam-bending back into round was a big success. The shells are currently resting in the attic, and I plan to let them rest for the next 4 weeks. The bass drum was only ever-so-slightly out of round, so just 4 clamps seemed to do the trick.

The floor tom required a bit of wrestling to get right, but I luckily had a spare set of 16" die-cast hoops laying around to serve as a mould to hold them in place.

What perpelexes me though, was I think the floor tom had gotten a new veneer put on (quite badly) at some point, and it turns out that underneath the carpet joiner the seams of this were lifting rather badly. After I steamed the floor tom, this layer pretty much popped right off. I took it off rather than wrestle with it, with the intention to put it back-on eventually. But now, looking at it closer, it seems to be made of something entirely different? I don't really know what to make of it. It also feels completely different to any of the other drums.

What do you guys think? I could just leave it off and forget-a-bout-it, seeing as it may not even be original, and proceed with the rewrap as I intended. The shell seems like it has 3 plies plus the reinforcement rings, so I doubt this will significantly impact the integrity or tone of the shell.

Last edited by Boomstick; 12-07-2020 at 01:48 PM.