Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-22-2017, 12:49 PM
DrumOgre DrumOgre is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 250
Default Star Cocktail drum

I stumbled across this old beauty and picked it up. The drum is 16" x 24", luan shell with 3 reinforcement rings (this is the nicest Luan shell I've ever seen).

It was covered with a greenish oyster type wrap that was completely cracked and falling off. The round silver Star badge is still intact. Slingerland copy lugs - 8 per side, 3 floor tom leg mounts, internal muffler, internal snares for the top head (muffler style adjustable), and a couple of extra mounts near the top for a cymbal and I'm guessing there was another smaller drum at some point maybe?

Only weirdness is that the original owner tried to fix the cracking wrap with a hot glue gun, so there is some glue residue on the shell.

I do have a cheapo reverse pedal to go with it

It is missing the legs, and I don't know if the hoops are original. I will take some better photos and post them. I'm open to selling it, but shipping cost would probably be prohibitive given the size.

Anyone else have one of these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	star.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	108080  
__________________
------------------------------------------------
"I've met cats and dogs smarter than Cory and Trevor."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2017, 03:44 PM
salty 1322 salty 1322 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Port Colborne, Ont., Canada
Posts: 1,892
Default Re: Star Cocktail drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumOgre View Post
I stumbled across this old beauty and picked it up. The drum is 16" x 24", luan shell with 3 reinforcement rings (this is the nicest Luan shell I've ever seen).

It was covered with a greenish oyster type wrap that was completely cracked and falling off. The round silver Star badge is still intact. Slingerland copy lugs - 8 per side, 3 floor tom leg mounts, internal muffler, internal snares for the top head (muffler style adjustable), and a couple of extra mounts near the top for a cymbal and I'm guessing there was another smaller drum at some point maybe?

Only weirdness is that the original owner tried to fix the cracking wrap with a hot glue gun, so there is some glue residue on the shell.

I do have a cheapo reverse pedal to go with it

It is missing the legs, and I don't know if the hoops are original. I will take some better photos and post them. I'm open to selling it, but shipping cost would probably be prohibitive given the size.

Anyone else have one of these?
Yep, I do! I have had mine re-wrapped in turquoise sparkle to match the rest of my kit. I use it as a second floor tom and it booms out like a cannon! Good find!
Brian
__________________
Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2017, 04:21 PM
DrumOgre DrumOgre is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 250
Default Re: Star Cocktail drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty 1322 View Post
I use it as a second floor tom and it booms out like a cannon! Good find!
You must be a tall guy to hit that thing like a floor tom!
__________________
------------------------------------------------
"I've met cats and dogs smarter than Cory and Trevor."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2017, 04:26 PM
salty 1322 salty 1322 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Port Colborne, Ont., Canada
Posts: 1,892
Default Re: Star Cocktail drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumOgre View Post
You must be a tall guy to hit that thing like a floor tom!
LOL! Don't forget that the legs can be lowered. I'm about six -one though so maybe that helps a bit! My kit can be seen in The Image section under "Vintage Star , turquoise sparkle" or something close to it. Great find!
Brian
__________________
Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cocktail , drum , star

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign