Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 09-25-2019, 03:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig Tequila Sunrise 6 3/4x14 Snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Here are pictures of the only 4 Vistalite 70's snare drums I have on my computer. They're all 5x14. However, if you look closely at those that have original tension rods, it appears as if the depth varies from shell to shell. Is it just me?!! All the lugs appear to be centered on the shell.

-Mark
Hey Mark, I find it interesting that there appears to be two different badge placements. Two of the pictured drums have the grommet hole centered on the lugs and two have the grommet hole noticeably above the centerline of the lugs. Wonder why? Different years?
Old 09-25-2019, 03:30 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Itís noticeable and thatís what make me think on it being custom of some kind
My blue one ss vista is looking pretty much the norm position on badge

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:54 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
That is funny!!

I was also thinking the same about the position of lugs, knowing that centering them on your shell would cause structural issues.

-Mark
The little bit of extra height for each of the three bands seems to be just enough to put the lug holes right on the seams if the lugs were centered on the shell. It seems like the builder of the drum took that into consideration, and decided to mount the lugs a little closer to one edge than the other to not disturb the already fragile nature of the shell.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:18 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerfan View Post
Hey Mark, I find it interesting that there appears to be two different badge placements. Two of the pictured drums have the grommet hole centered on the lugs and two have the grommet hole noticeably above the centerline of the lugs. Wonder why? Different years?
I noticed the same thing. And, yes, probably from different years. Did you notice how two of the drums have the muffler mounted with three holes across? I believe this was done later on to prevent cracking. When Ludwig changed how they mounted the muffler, they probably also did a slight repositioning of the badge/grommet. Just a theory.

-Mark
Old 09-25-2019, 05:21 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
The little bit of extra height for each of the three bands seems to be just enough to put the lug holes right on the seams if the lugs were centered on the shell. It seems like the builder of the drum took that into consideration, and decided to mount the lugs a little closer to one edge than the other to not disturb the already fragile nature of the shell.
leedybdp! Your explanation sounds very plausible. What needs to be determined is if this shell was not made according to specs, but they didn't want to waste the shell. The majority of US drum manufacturers hated waste!

-Mark
Old 09-25-2019, 08:09 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Very good point about letting some drums that were inconsistent with specs leave the factory.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:49 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
Very good point about letting some drums that were inconsistent with specs leave the factory.
Happened more than we realized! I've got quite a few Ludwig and Slingerland snare drums where the depth is not as advertised! Did we really care back in the 60's and 70's? Heck no! The drums sounded great, which is all we wanted!

-Mark
Old 09-26-2019, 11:18 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Ahhh, the fun never ends ...

Contacted by Reverb that they've been alerted that snare's a reproduction. Which would explain why I got it so cheaply ... until you take a look at the badge. From what I can tell it is mid-70's : pointy B/O badge.

Reproduction badges are rounded + have the “MADE IN U.S.A” beneath the serial number.

Right? (I've been wrong before).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11111111111.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	127724  

Last edited by Hobbs; 09-26-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

UPDATE from Reverb (would definitely love to hear from the experts here) :

"Thanks for sending over the photo of the badge. After reviewing, it seems that this drum is not a genuine Ludwig product. In addition to the hardware and shell being unusually clean and free of pitting/marks typically seen on these drums, the badge on your drum displays several characteristics of being a counterfeit - most notably:

1) The "A" in USA drops below the "G" in Ludwig, something that did not occur on the originals
2) The shape of the brushed section (where the serial number is stamped) does not follow the contours of the edges of the badge, something that did not occur on the originals
3) The lefthand edge of the badge does not contain the breakaway marks seen on genuine Ludwig blue/olive badges

For comparison, here are a couple photos of genuine Ludwig blue/olive badges:

https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...vglzp7z4gn.jpg

https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...ausphhxe8c.jpg"

This type of issue, if indeed a repro / counterfeit, for GENERAL vintage drummers is essential info. to have (maybe a sticky thread).

Last edited by Hobbs; 09-26-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:13 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Very subtle differences. The circled "R" also appears to be more toward the left than the originals. It would be nice to have some input from KCDrumDad or mlayton on this.