Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 07-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Questions about a Ludwig Black/White badge Copper Snare

Greetings,

I've had this snare for about 10 years. I got it used and it sounds absolutely fantastic! I've never had much info about it so I wanted to pose the questions to the experts here.

Is this considered a "pro level" Ludwig snare? The serial number is 810083. Any ideas what it would be date wise?

The throw off and butt plate have the same hole pattern as a P-85 and a P-43, but they are different. Was there a certain name for this style of throw or butt? A magnet does not stick to the shell. It's a 5.5" x 14". It was not drilled for an internal muffler.

Was this a certain model snare that had a name, like a Supra or an Acrolite etc.? It has 10 bow tie lugs and the inside has no ink stamps or printing inside of any kind. Is this basically a copper plated Supra with bow tie lugs?

I know I'm missing a snare wire, but it sounds great just they way it is! It also weighs a ton! I put 2.3 mm hoops on both sides, and this is one heavy drum, but it hasn't met a guitarist yet that it couldn't handle!

This is truly a great snare, and I would love to know a little more information about it.

Thanks,

V
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lud 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	120089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lud 2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	120090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lud 3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	120091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lud 4.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	120092  

Last edited by vyacheslav; 07-12-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:25 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Questions about a Ludwig Black/White badge Copper Snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
Greetings,

I've had this snare for about 10 years. I got it used and it sounds absolutely fantastic! I've never had much info about it so I wanted to pose the questions to the experts here.

Is this considered a "pro level" Ludwig snare? The serial number is 810083. Any ideas what it would be date wise?

The throw off and butt plate have the same hole pattern as a P-85 and a P-43, but they are different. Was there a certain name for this style of throw or butt? A magnet does not stick to the shell. It's a 5.5" x 14". It was not drilled for an internal muffler.

Was this a certain model snare that had a name, like a Supra or an Acrolite etc.? It has 10 bow tie lugs and the inside has no ink stamps or printing inside of any kind. Is this basically a copper plated Supra with bow tie lugs?

I know I'm missing a snare wire, but it sounds great just they way it is! It also weighs a ton! I put 2.3 mm hoops on both sides, and this is one heavy drum, but it hasn't met a guitarist yet that it couldn't handle!

This is truly a great snare, and I would love to know a little more information about it.

Thanks,

V
Considered a "semi-pro" drum....imported for Ludwig, made in Taiwan.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

It looks like a LM305. Bronze.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

I agree that it looks like a bronze.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:32 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks for the replies!

So this is considered an LM305 Bronze. Was this part of the "Rocker" line?

I'm guessing late 90's to early/mid 2000's on the date. Does that sound about right?
Old 07-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Reverb has a write-up on it. It says it's from the 2000's.
There's also a 5" & 6.5"brass version of the drum and the drum in the reverb pic looks like brass to me. I think the drummer for Dr Dog played a brass rocker snare drum on tour a couple of years ago.
https://reverb.com/p/ludwig-5x14-lm3...nze-snare-drum
edit;
Here's a quote from Bonzoleum on another forum in 2011:
"Those are the LM300 Series. They came out about ten years ago. There were (are) steel, brass & bronze versions. The LM300 and LM302 are steel-shelled 5.5x14 and 6.5x14 respectively. LM303 and LM304 are brass-shelled 5.5 and 6.5. LM305 LM306 are 5.5 and 6.5 bronze."

Last edited by Mo Tonkie; 07-13-2018 at 01:44 PM.