Old 07-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Default Re-chroming of Clam Shell Strainer Butt End
The mounting piece of the butt end of the strainer shows some rust, which doesn't appear to be surface rust. That being the case, what is the solution if the clam shell piece does not "unscrew" from the mount...looks more like a rivit of some kind. Do I just have to wait until I can find a replacement?

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Re-chroming of Clam Shell Strainer Butt End
Yep, your out of luck on this one. I would do my best to remove the rust and polish it up the best you can.

Other then that, the bar you refer to is not easy to remove and I have not heard of anyone that can replace that.

You can look for a replacement, but keep the old part for the drum so you can return it back to original if you want.

David
Old 07-11-2007, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks David...

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. But, again, your site has provided great restoration information....I bought Flitz metal polish and Whink rust remover. Will take a shot at those two and see how things come out.

Unfortunately, a comment I read the other day on the site (think it was from you), was that hardward is becoming more expensive than the drum itself... true true.

By the way, I noticed an odd use of nuts for the top adjusting piece on the lever side of the clam shell. It doesn't look like a factory thought of it. Anyway, you can tell or show me what it is supposed to look like? They used two nuts of different sizes and a few washers of different sizes. Tried to send picture, but just can't get it down to 97kb.

Thanks very much
Old 07-18-2010, 04:13 PM

I have the same situation. Here's what mine looked like inside. I don't believe this was stock.
Attached Thumbnails