Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-28-2019, 01:40 PM
Donovan Drums Donovan Drums is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 20
Default Premier Olympic Snare Drum Questions

Hi folks. My first post on this forum.

I have a Premier Olympic snare drum that I am trying to get back into playable condition. The shell appears to be stainless steel (magnet test).

I would like to get a recommendation for a nice set of heads for a beginning drummer. The snare wires look good, 16 strands.

Also, what's the deal on the slotted tension rods? Do you actually use a flat-bladed screwdriver to turn those? I don't see a special key in the places I've looked so far. See pic.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	premier_rod.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	127213  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-28-2019, 02:59 PM
Trilok_Gurtu Trilok_Gurtu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 309
Default Re: Premier Olympic Snare Drum Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan Drums View Post
Hi folks. My first post on this forum.

I have a Premier Olympic snare drum that I am trying to get back into playable condition. The shell appears to be stainless steel (magnet test).

I would like to get a recommendation for a nice set of heads for a beginning drummer. The snare wires look good, 16 strands.

Also, what's the deal on the slotted tension rods? Do you actually use a flat-bladed screwdriver to turn those? I don't see a special key in the places I've looked so far. See pic.

Thanks!
to VDF.

RE: Heads. You can't go wrong with a coated Remo Ambassador for the batter side, and a clear Ambassador for the snare side. If you're a heavy hitter, maybe go with a coated Emperor or Controlled Sound.

RE: Slotted tension rods. Some people use a flat head, or a coin, etc. You can get drum keys for them, online, but they can get pricey.

Many people just swap out the slotted ones for regular tension rods. Saves a lot of hassle, if you don't have a slotted drum key (or feel like buying one). I have a slotted Premier drum key, never to be sold haha.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Premier-Drum Key.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	127214  
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Donovan Drums Donovan Drums is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 20
Default Re: Premier Olympic Snare Drum Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilok_Gurtu View Post
to VDF.

RE: Heads. You can't go wrong with a coated Remo Ambassador for the batter side, and a clear Ambassador for the snare side. If you're a heavy hitter, maybe go with a coated Emperor or Controlled Sound.

RE: Slotted tension rods. Some people use a flat head, or a coin, etc. You can get drum keys for them, online, but they can get pricey.

Many people just swap out the slotted ones for regular tension rods. Saves a lot of hassle, if you don't have a slotted drum key (or feel like buying one). I have a slotted Premier drum key, never to be sold haha.

Cheers
Thanks for the info!
Looking around I found an Aquarian Texture Coated and an Aquarian Classic Clear snare side on hand.
Should work okay, right?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2019, 04:00 PM
Trilok_Gurtu Trilok_Gurtu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 309
Default Re: Premier Olympic Snare Drum Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan Drums View Post
Thanks for the info!
Looking around I found an Aquarian Texture Coated and an Aquarian Classic Clear snare side on hand.
Should work okay, right?
For sure, same type of thing. Should work well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2019, 06:59 PM
wayne wayne is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,349
Default Re: Premier Olympic Snare Drum Questions

Your going to love that drum whether its a 6 or 8. They have a very dry center and a bell like ring near the edge. I have 2 and just love them. Fortunately for those who don't judge drums by the price tag, these can be had for very little...………...but lets keep it a secret.
__________________
Hit like you mean it!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2019, 08:26 PM
Donovan Drums Donovan Drums is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 20
Default Re: Premier Olympic Snare Drum Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
Your going to love that drum whether its a 6 or 8. They have a very dry center and a bell like ring near the edge. I have 2 and just love them. Fortunately for those who don't judge drums by the price tag, these can be had for very little......but lets keep it a secret.
Do yours have the slotted tension rods?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2019, 08:31 PM
jda jda is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: western Pa.
Posts: 306
Default Re: Premier Olympic Snare Drum Questions

I don't think (...) that drum should have slotted tension rods (reserved for the upper lines) unless it is an early (or Can/UK market) around 69-70 US early. they went with square head in the US mid early 70s -on that line.
Check the Guide catalogs out front
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2019, 09:18 PM
wayne wayne is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,349
Default Re: Premier Olympic Snare Drum Questions

Both my drums are 8 lug, slotted rods, and early 70,s....however, I swapped one of them for square rods just to mix it up. I don't break drum heads, and I kept the slotted rods...….don't ever get rid of yours.
__________________
Hit like you mean it!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-2019, 12:22 AM
jda jda is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: western Pa.
Posts: 306
Default Re: Premier Olympic Snare Drum Questions

slotted-head rods thread remained metric even after rest of set went international
yes/no?

were they metric (slot-head rods) yes or no.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2019, 04:33 AM
dukekamaya dukekamaya is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: South Coast, NSW, Australia
Posts: 246
Default Re: Premier Olympic Snare Drum Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan Drums View Post

I have a Premier Olympic snare drum that I am trying to get back into playable condition. The shell appears to be stainless steel (magnet test).
Shell is chrome over steel , not stainless
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign