Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 10-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

Default mij name and restoration info needed

Picked these up the other day and as you can see from the photos the wrap is in terrible shape but the drums seem solid. I am wondering if the best thing to do would be to strip the wrap off ... would this devalue the drums even when the wrap is cracked, torn and peeling?
Any idea as to who made these and what name they had. No badges on them. All I got is a 20" bass and a 14" floor tom. thanks for any info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mij drums00007.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	62791   Click image for larger version

Name:	mij drums00003.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	62792   Click image for larger version

Name:	mij drums00006.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	62793   Click image for larger version

Name:	mij drums00005.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	62794  

Click image for larger version

Name:	mij drums00001.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	62795  
Old 10-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: mij name and restoration info needed

These may be one of the "Star" stencils. I just did over a set of Majestics (Star) with the same consolette, metal bass hoops and grey painted interiors. Ralf will know. I'm sure when he sees this post he'll chime in. Rich.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:59 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

These are Star drums in Chrome Satin Flame.
Quite rare. I would try to rescue it.
On the other side: some guys over here are searching for such lugs (rare, too) at the moment ...
So if you decide to disassemble all, I'd keep the wrap (even the cracked one) in a corner for the future ...

Ralf
Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 AM

That is a cool cool wrap. Yes, if you do part it out, there are folks here who would love the parts, self included. Best to you whatever you decide to do!
Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM

ST-drums og Gremany can actually provide white satin wrap - I suppose it can be found in the US as well?

http://www.stdrums.de/shop/product_i...501-white.html

That would be a nice solution, wrapping them in something that gets close.

There are many tastes, I donīt mind a repearable (possible to glue on to something on the backside) split - but I personally think these are very fra gone. I would recoat them, if I like the sound. If not, pass them on.

Jon
Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

thanks for the info! I guess I will clean them up a bit and get some heads on them and see if i like them. they are built like tanks! if only the wrap wasn't trashed. it is cracked at most lugs and ripped up in places. I think the ft is in somewhat better condition. So are you saying Ralf that these originally had Star badges on them? the ft has a 'K' in a circle stamped inside, that is the only mark I could find. If I can't secure this wrap i think I would just strip them and use them bare for now ( the mahogany isn't bad) Would putting some wood oil on it be a problem to collectors in case I decide to sell in the future? I will save the wrap as suggested but am not sure it would be useful?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

also can these be dated by the lugs? I was looking thru post here and see that not all stars have these lugs. thanks.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I would not do anything to the shells (oil, paint, treatment of any kind) until you get new heads on them and tune it up and see how they sound. Of course the edges must be good and the drum 'true' - but some treatments to the shell can alter the sound significantly.

Myself, I have never done anything to my shells - and they are not deteriorating at all. I get a nice warm tone out of them and some that I have had the edges re-cut have greatly improved in sound as a result.

I don't think I have ever read about anyone disappointed with a Star made kit - in any way.

Just be slow and careful with what you do with those (shells).

John

2Timothy1:7
Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

Not to p%$s on anybody's parade here, and I know there's some overlap of brandnames on the MIJ stuff, but I just bought the EXACT same kit in blue satin WITH tags, and it's definitely Apollo; made by Pearl. Late 60's in to 70's, depending on hardware. That is all.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
Not to p% on anybody's parade here, and I know there's some overlap of brandnames on the MIJ stuff, but I just bought the EXACT same kit in blue satin WITH tags, and it's definitely Apollo; made by Pearl. Late 60's in to 70's, depending on hardware. That is all.
If your exact kit has that same rail - you have a Star (rail at least!).

I think I can speak for all when I ask for.....pics pics pics

John

2Timothy1:7