Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Eminent Destiny Eminent Destiny is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Riverside CA
Posts: 625
Default Re: Yamamoto Gracy? Anybody know ANYTHING?

A guy has a set of these for sale with a slingerland brass snare for 450. The badge on the tom is a wide diamond, not round like these or even the rest of the drums with the kit. Everything else is the same though.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 PM
teverson-sr teverson-sr is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,161
Default Re: Yamamoto Gracy? Anybody know ANYTHING?

I don't believe that Gracy had anything to do with Pearl, Tama or Hoshino. Those "long diamond" badge drums are early 60's. Quite rare in the U.S. There are a few Gracy posts on the site.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Drummerjohn333 Drummerjohn333 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,406
Default Re: Yamamoto Gracy? Anybody know ANYTHING?

OsakaBop would be a good member to consult on this.
__________________
I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-18-2014, 01:29 AM
jazzbo jazzbo is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 566
Default Re: Yamamoto Gracy? Anybody know ANYTHING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandafist View Post
Seriously, I can't find a single sentance of information on my kit. Help?
You are welcome for the info - duh !
__________________
1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-20-2014, 01:06 AM
jazzbo jazzbo is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 566
Default Re: Yamamoto Gracy? Anybody know ANYTHING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandafist View Post
Seriously, I can't find a single sentance of information on my kit. Help?
I've learned that Pearl made shells for around 30 drum makers in Japan with various names attached to them . No doubt this was one .
__________________
1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Marc Patch Marc Patch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lake Mills, IA
Posts: 10
Default Re: Yamamoto Gracy? Anybody know ANYTHING?

MIJ stencil drums of the 60's & 70's were made mostly three companies, Pearl, Star (which is now Tama), and Hoshino (Kougyou). There were some other manufacturers in the market as well, Yamamoto, Sakae, Yamaha. Yamamoto was the manufacturer. Gracy was their own brand. There is no known association between Yamamoto and the other stencil manufacturers. While most of the stencil drum makers copied Slingerland, Sonar, Leedy, and Rogers, the only one to copy Gretsch was Yamamoto.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-22-2019, 08:10 PM
idrum4fun idrum4fun is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,063
Default Re: Yamamoto Gracy? Anybody know ANYTHING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Patch View Post
MIJ stencil drums of the 60's & 70's were made mostly three companies, Pearl, Star (which is now Tama), and Hoshino (Kougyou). There were some other manufacturers in the market as well, Yamamoto, Sakae, Yamaha. Yamamoto was the manufacturer. Gracy was their own brand. There is no known association between Yamamoto and the other stencil manufacturers. While most of the stencil drum makers copied Slingerland, Sonar, Leedy, and Rogers, the only one to copy Gretsch was Yamamoto.
Hi Marc!

For clarification, are you saying that "Gracy" branded drums were built by Yamamoto? I have your Stencil Drums book and the only reference to Gracy is a possible relation to Hoshino, but not verified.

-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-04-2019, 10:58 PM
Kenwood Kenwood is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: southern new england
Posts: 866
Send a message via Yahoo to Kenwood
Default Re: Yamamoto Gracy? Anybody know ANYTHING?

Yamamoto from what I have recently learned was the maker of most Gracy badged drums.
They also made the vintage stencil kits that used the Gretsch cloned lugs with badges like Del Rey, Norma, and Rocket. in fact the original Gracy subject kit from 2007 was wrapped in the same finish as this Norma kit I have here. The faded weave pattern wrap which appears as sort of a cool silver-grey color was originally a beautiful blue. When the degree of fade is really advanced, the wood grain of the shell can be seen from under the wrap.

When I first started collecting MIJ kits most of us knew of two stencil makers Star and Pearl. Since then Hoshino K. came to light, as another major builder. then there is also though on a much smaller scale of production, both Yamamoto and Sakae.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	128882  

Last edited by Kenwood; 12-04-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Kenwood Kenwood is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: southern new england
Posts: 866
Send a message via Yahoo to Kenwood
Default Re: Yamamoto Gracy? Anybody know ANYTHING?

Sorry for the info that was already posted I somehow missed Marc's post
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-05-2019, 10:19 AM
JimmySticks JimmySticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 354
Default Re: Yamamoto Gracy? Anybody know ANYTHING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwood View Post
Yamamoto from what I have recently learned was the maker of most Gracy badged drums.
They also made the vintage stencil kits that used the Gretsch cloned lugs with badges like Del Rey, Norma, and Rocket. in fact the original Gracy subject kit from 2007 was wrapped in the same finish as this Norma kit I have here. The faded weave pattern wrap which appears as sort of a cool silver-grey color was originally a beautiful blue. When the degree of fade is really advanced, the wood grain of the shell can be seen from under the wrap.

When I first started collecting MIJ kits most of us knew of two stencil makers Star and Pearl. Since then Hoshino K. came to light, as another major builder. then there is also though on a much smaller scale of production, both Yamamoto and Sakae.
So you say Yamamoto made Norma's?

That's interesting to know, since I thought my Norma kit was likely made by Hoshino. But it does have the Gretsch hardware on it, and since none of the Big 3 copied Gretsch, and Yamamoto did, stands to reason he made them. Interesting stuff!

Any idea what happened to Mr. Yamamoto? Did he eventually merge with Tama, Pearl or Yamaha or did he just fade away?

Sorry to hijack the thread!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign