Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

Default i need help deciding on another 3 ride cymbals

here is the sound file ,,,see which 1 2 or 3 sounds better to ya http://www.filedropper.com/dr000021

Last edited by mosteller; 02-05-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: i need help deciding on another 3 ride cymbals

Second one is out, IMHO. Too bright, too metallic, dead-sounding...not enough spread, not enough overtones. It has the best stick sound, but nothing else, really.

The first is in between the second and third. As a general purpose cymbal for a variety of musical genres, it's probably the best choice. It sounds nice. It's well-balanced.

The third one is the darkest of the three. Washy, a lot of spread to the low overtones. Sounds like a great Jazz ride but if you were using it with an amplified band it'd get lost...and the stick presence is the least of the three. I like it, it's dark and smoky, but it wouldn't stand up well to a loud band.

BTW....I think the only reason more folks haven't replied is because as you have it set up now...one has to actually downlaod the mp3 to their computer...as opposed to, say, just listening to it via their web browser.

I am curious to know what brands they are.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

1st is a 1960s 22inch zildjian a medium ride, 2nd is 20 inch zilidjian k custom dark ride, 3rd is 22in 1950s zildjian a medium thin( its the one i posted bout earlier
Old 02-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

- that K Custom surprises me - l thought they were better than that. Doesn't even have much complexity ! The other two - don't surprise me Both are classic-sounding rides