Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-04-2019, 10:57 AM
vyacheslav vyacheslav is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,471
Default Atlas = UFIP?

Greetings,

I picked up this 20" used cymbal yesterday (it actually measures 19.5")

The Atlas stamp is in the same "mountain range" shape that I see older UFIP stamps in. I know that Atlas cymbals were advertised in Modern Drummer Magazine back in the 80's.

It appears to be a B8 cymbal as far as color, but it doesn't sound like one. It sounds very much like on old A. to my ears. It doesn't have that high pitched "hiss" (especially after it starts to decay) that is usually present on B8 cymbals. In fact, the music store I bought it from had two 20" older A's and I preferred this Atlas to both of the older A's. The Atlas is lighter, more airy and is less harsh when crashed than the older A's.

This cymbal also reminds me of a similar cymbal I used to have that just had "CB-700" stamped on it. Same color and lathing. I always regretted selling that cymbal (that one also measured 19.5"). This one sounds even better than that one, so I got lucky!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas 1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	128324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas 2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	128325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas 3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	128326  
__________________
"The worst thing to happen to drums from the 60's and early 70's was the 80's!"-clubdate64
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-04-2019, 11:08 AM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 694
Default Re: Atlas = UFIP?

Here is what the Wikipedia pages says: In the United States UFIP cymbals were sold as "Atlas" and "Abraxis" until, in the early nineties

I have a pair of Abraxis hi-hats and love the way they sound
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-04-2019, 07:20 PM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 6,181
Default Re: Atlas = UFIP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
Greetings,

I picked up this 20" used cymbal yesterday (it actually measures 19.5")

The Atlas stamp is in the same "mountain range" shape that I see older UFIP stamps in. I know that Atlas cymbals were advertised in Modern Drummer Magazine back in the 80's.

It appears to be a B8 cymbal as far as color, but it doesn't sound like one. It sounds very much like on old A. to my ears. It doesn't have that high pitched "hiss" (especially after it starts to decay) that is usually present on B8 cymbals. In fact, the music store I bought it from had two 20" older A's and I preferred this Atlas to both of the older A's. The Atlas is lighter, more airy and is less harsh when crashed than the older A's.

This cymbal also reminds me of a similar cymbal I used to have that just had "CB-700" stamped on it. Same color and lathing. I always regretted selling that cymbal (that one also measured 19.5"). This one sounds even better than that one, so I got lucky!

How many different pitches can you get out of it ? Is this an I like the way it crashes thing ? Does it sound the same anywhere you hit it ?

There is much more you can do with a cymbal than use it at the end. So if you like the way it crashes, keep it, I would. If you like the way it goes tap tap tap over and over in that silly pattern everyone uses, Keep it, I would too.

But if you want a cymbal that's been thought out, designed to do more than tap tap tapity tap, or crash crash, then look at companies that take mixture, lathing and heat and hammering seriously and not just make a product that brings in the doe ! UFIP would rather have the cash than the reputation.
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i

Last edited by OddBall; 11-04-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2019, 11:44 AM
vyacheslav vyacheslav is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,471
Default Re: Atlas = UFIP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
How many different pitches can you get out of it ? Is this an I like the way it crashes thing ? Does it sound the same anywhere you hit it ?

There is much more you can do with a cymbal than use it at the end. So if you like the way it crashes, keep it, I would. If you like the way it goes tap tap tap over and over in that silly pattern everyone uses, Keep it, I would too.

But if you want a cymbal that's been thought out, designed to do more than tap tap tapity tap, or crash crash, then look at companies that take mixture, lathing and heat and hammering seriously and not just make a product that brings in the doe ! UFIP would rather have the cash than the reputation.

Ummmmmm, thanks?!?!

All I know is that it was a good used price ($60) and it has a sound that I like. It crashes well, has a nice stick and has a usable bell. It checks all the boxes and I enjoy playing it, so that checks the biggest box of all.
__________________
"The worst thing to happen to drums from the 60's and early 70's was the 80's!"-clubdate64
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2019, 04:07 PM
O-Lugs O-Lugs is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,298
Default Re: Atlas = UFIP?

I tend to buy cymbals by ear. I have purchased some really cheap cymbals that I thought fit the need. I have mostly Avedis Zildjians...but also a few Paiste and a few Ufip. I heard an old K once that I loved, but the guy wanted a thousand bucks for it back in the early 90s and I couldn't afford it at the time because I was making some big house payments.

I can put a piece of painter's masking tape on cymbals to change unpleasant overtones. I can also make recordings and tell people I used all rare old K's....and who would dispute it unless they could see them?

Unless you're in the room with them and play them with the sticks you use and use whatever touch you use, cymbals are always a crapshoot when you buy them sight unseen. Of course, when you buy a crappy sounding old Ks sight unseen (and there are many of them), you'll still come out ahead....just because people desire their rarity.

In any case, enjoy your cymbal!
__________________
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2019, 05:14 PM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 6,181
Default Re: Atlas = UFIP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
Ummmmmm, thanks?!?!

All I know is that it was a good used price ($60) and it has a sound that I like. It crashes well, has a nice stick and has a usable bell. It checks all the boxes and I enjoy playing it, so that checks the biggest box of all.
Then you keep it. I have Japan hats that sound amazing and I won't part with them. They are mostly Copper mix but like you, I like the sound. I might get 5 bucks if I try to sell them,...maybe.
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign