Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 04-05-2015, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Blues Cymbal Set Up

Once again thanks for the very interesting information, On page three of the Sam Lay article (it looks to me) that he has a ride to his right and a swish to his left.
Zildjian started to sell the swish and pang cymbals in the 1930's, I wonder if it was a factory cymbal or if he drilled it ?
Not knowing much about cymbals and especially swish cymbals was there a selection (thin, med, dark, dry etc.) or were they pretty much standard ?
Interestingly he only had 2 cymbals and hats. Time to put some wolf albums on. Got to love his bass drum painting !
Old 04-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorwood View Post
Once again thanks for the very interesting information, On page three of the Sam Lay article (it looks to me) that he has a ride to his right and a swish to his left.
Zildjian started to sell the swish and pang cymbals in the 1930's, I wonder if it was a factory cymbal or if he drilled it ?
Not knowing much about cymbals and especially swish cymbals was there a selection (thin, med, dark, dry etc.) or were they pretty much standard ?
Interestingly he only had 2 cymbals and hats. Time to put some wolf albums on. Got to love his bass drum painting !
As for the cymbal selections no, They did have different weights,but they only had just what the cymbal was called back in the 30's, But each cymbal sounds completely different and had to be selected by the artisit a lot of the time.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Vintage !
I watched some footage of Muddy with three different drummers.
Francis Clay had 3 cymbals and hats, they were rather large, so a combination of rides & crashes (no idea)
S.P.Leary had 2 cymbals and hats
Willie Smith had two cymbals and hats
the search goes on !
Old 04-05-2015, 11:48 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Thanks guys,
I was starting to get worried that no one would post an answer or suggestion(s) Its kind of sad that there isn't more information about the drummers and their equiptment (cymbals) from the early 50's and 60's (blues guys)
It would nice get some more info, thanks again to posting
That's an easy one! Big and thin!

Avedis Zildjian USA's, 1940s Trans Stamp through the late 50s, and more so than the K Zildjian Istanbuls..But what ever style of cymbal sound you prefer can be used successfully for Blues.

Thin Paiste 602s, Giant Beat, and 2002s are also killer for heavy blues.
Check out Bogie Bowels with his one up two down set up and all X large thin crash.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:02 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I use a Bosphorus 22" New Orleans. Nice medium, semi dry with a good bell for accents, as for the authentic old time sound I would guess Zildjian Avedis?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

1965 Howlin Wolf made his only national TV appearance on ABC's program Shindig, I'm not sure of the drummer (S.P. Leary or Clifton James) either way it was a two cymbal set with hats, in an earlier video S.P. Leary played brushes on dust my broom, with a single ride.
1964 performance in England Clifton James used two cymbals.
I have a few more videos with old footage, but I would venture to guess that a two cymbal set up Most common.
Also large cymbals and likely Zildjian Avedis
Thanks everyone !
My largest is a 20" med ride time to look for a 22" maybe a swish ?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
1965 Howlin Wolf made his only national TV appearance on ABC's program Shindig, I'm not sure of the drummer (S.P. Leary or Clifton James) either way it was a two cymbal set with hats, in an earlier video S.P. Leary played brushes on dust my broom, with a single ride.
1964 performance in England Clifton James used two cymbals.
I have a few more videos with old footage, but I would venture to guess that a two cymbal set up Most common.
Also large cymbals and likely Zildjian Avedis
Thanks everyone !
My largest is a 20" med ride time to look for a 22" maybe a swish ?
If I am not mistaken, those old videos show mostly dark, K sounding type cymbals, swish and swish sizzles.

The cymbals used primarily for blues seemed to evolve over time getting brighter and brighter due primarily to the low register of the music they needed to cut through.

IMO dark smokey cymbals still work great for Bop/Jazz but not for blues, especially heavy blues.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:15 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

> IMO dark smokey cymbals still work great for Bop/Jazz but not for blues, especially heavy blues.

+1 The last band I worked with was a Chicago style Blues band with horns, keyboard, harp player, bass, guitars, vocals and I wish I had the cymbals I have now back then! I have a 22" hollow logo ping ride, and a 20" thin hollow logo crash that is warm and explosive. Larger brighter cymbals are -perfect- for a Blues band situation. I also have 15" hollow logo New Beat hats that just KILL. If I had these a couple of years ago, I would have gigged them to death with that band.

And yes, two cymbal set-ups were common in the 50's/60's. From what I can recall, we were all hot for Zildjians, I'm sure that's what the working drummers at the time were using.

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Old 04-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Hi
I was very fortunate to get an email from Kenny Smith, son of Willie Smith (Muddy's Drummer) he said his dad would have use Zildjians and likely 20" rides.
Anyone know the price of Zildjian K or Avedis in the 1950-60's ?
Thanks
Old 04-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Depends on condition and weight.