Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-05-2015, 11:44 AM
whorwood whorwood is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 78
Default Re: Blues Cymbal Set Up

Once again thanks for the very interesting information, On page three of the Sam Lay article (it looks to me) that he has a ride to his right and a swish to his left.
Zildjian started to sell the swish and pang cymbals in the 1930's, I wonder if it was a factory cymbal or if he drilled it ?
Not knowing much about cymbals and especially swish cymbals was there a selection (thin, med, dark, dry etc.) or were they pretty much standard ?
Interestingly he only had 2 cymbals and hats. Time to put some wolf albums on. Got to love his bass drum painting !
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-05-2015, 01:08 PM
vintagemore2000 vintagemore2000 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10,599
Default Re: Blues Cymbal Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorwood View Post
Once again thanks for the very interesting information, On page three of the Sam Lay article (it looks to me) that he has a ride to his right and a swish to his left.
Zildjian started to sell the swish and pang cymbals in the 1930's, I wonder if it was a factory cymbal or if he drilled it ?
Not knowing much about cymbals and especially swish cymbals was there a selection (thin, med, dark, dry etc.) or were they pretty much standard ?
Interestingly he only had 2 cymbals and hats. Time to put some wolf albums on. Got to love his bass drum painting !
As for the cymbal selections no, They did have different weights,but they only had just what the cymbal was called back in the 30's, But each cymbal sounds completely different and had to be selected by the artisit a lot of the time.
__________________
Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-05-2015, 02:01 PM
whorwood whorwood is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 78
Default Re: Blues Cymbal Set Up

Thanks Vintage !
I watched some footage of Muddy with three different drummers.
Francis Clay had 3 cymbals and hats, they were rather large, so a combination of rides & crashes (no idea)
S.P.Leary had 2 cymbals and hats
Willie Smith had two cymbals and hats
the search goes on !
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-05-2015, 11:48 PM
Slingalud Slingalud is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 635
Default Re: Blues Cymbal Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorwood View Post
Thanks guys,
I was starting to get worried that no one would post an answer or suggestion(s) Its kind of sad that there isn't more information about the drummers and their equiptment (cymbals) from the early 50's and 60's (blues guys)
It would nice get some more info, thanks again to posting
That's an easy one! Big and thin!

Avedis Zildjian USA's, 1940s Trans Stamp through the late 50s, and more so than the K Zildjian Istanbuls..But what ever style of cymbal sound you prefer can be used successfully for Blues.

Thin Paiste 602s, Giant Beat, and 2002s are also killer for heavy blues.
Check out Bogie Bowels with his one up two down set up and all X large thin crash.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-06-2015, 02:02 AM
Chromeo Chromeo is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,280
Default Re: Blues Cymbal Set Up

I use a Bosphorus 22" New Orleans. Nice medium, semi dry with a good bell for accents, as for the authentic old time sound I would guess Zildjian Avedis?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-06-2015, 09:13 AM
whorwood whorwood is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 78
Default Re: Blues Cymbal Set Up

1965 Howlin Wolf made his only national TV appearance on ABC's program Shindig, I'm not sure of the drummer (S.P. Leary or Clifton James) either way it was a two cymbal set with hats, in an earlier video S.P. Leary played brushes on dust my broom, with a single ride.
1964 performance in England Clifton James used two cymbals.
I have a few more videos with old footage, but I would venture to guess that a two cymbal set up Most common.
Also large cymbals and likely Zildjian Avedis
Thanks everyone !
My largest is a 20" med ride time to look for a 22" maybe a swish ?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Slingalud Slingalud is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 635
Default Re: Blues Cymbal Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorwood View Post
1965 Howlin Wolf made his only national TV appearance on ABC's program Shindig, I'm not sure of the drummer (S.P. Leary or Clifton James) either way it was a two cymbal set with hats, in an earlier video S.P. Leary played brushes on dust my broom, with a single ride.
1964 performance in England Clifton James used two cymbals.
I have a few more videos with old footage, but I would venture to guess that a two cymbal set up Most common.
Also large cymbals and likely Zildjian Avedis
Thanks everyone !
My largest is a 20" med ride time to look for a 22" maybe a swish ?
If I am not mistaken, those old videos show mostly dark, K sounding type cymbals, swish and swish sizzles.

The cymbals used primarily for blues seemed to evolve over time getting brighter and brighter due primarily to the low register of the music they needed to cut through.

IMO dark smokey cymbals still work great for Bop/Jazz but not for blues, especially heavy blues.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-07-2015, 04:15 AM
Purdie Shuffle Purdie Shuffle is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 8,944
Default Re: Blues Cymbal Set Up

> IMO dark smokey cymbals still work great for Bop/Jazz but not for blues, especially heavy blues.

+1 The last band I worked with was a Chicago style Blues band with horns, keyboard, harp player, bass, guitars, vocals and I wish I had the cymbals I have now back then! I have a 22" hollow logo ping ride, and a 20" thin hollow logo crash that is warm and explosive. Larger brighter cymbals are -perfect- for a Blues band situation. I also have 15" hollow logo New Beat hats that just KILL. If I had these a couple of years ago, I would have gigged them to death with that band.

And yes, two cymbal set-ups were common in the 50's/60's. From what I can recall, we were all hot for Zildjians, I'm sure that's what the working drummers at the time were using.

John
__________________
Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-09-2015, 09:08 AM
whorwood whorwood is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 78
Default Re: Blues Cymbal Set Up

Hi
I was very fortunate to get an email from Kenny Smith, son of Willie Smith (Muddy's Drummer) he said his dad would have use Zildjians and likely 20" rides.
Anyone know the price of Zildjian K or Avedis in the 1950-60's ?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-09-2015, 09:11 AM
vintagemore2000 vintagemore2000 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10,599
Default Re: Blues Cymbal Set Up

Depends on condition and weight.
__________________
Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign