Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Paiste 505's

I was curious if anyone has an idea of the value (don't need a $$ figure, just if they are) and history on the 505 Series "symbols" (that's a joke) and why they went away. Were they cheap and undesirable? Didn't sell well? I bought a 505, 20" crash back in '80 and I still play it, today. It has a nice dry, yet pleasantly large sound and can even be used as an accent-ride (if that's what you'd call it). Again, just curious. Thanks for any info.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Paiste 505's

In their day they were marketed as intermediate B8's...in between the 404's and the 2002's.

With that said, by today's standards I have found them to be significantly better than their original intent. I think they blow contemporary Alphas away, really...no contest.

They fetch pretty decent $ on eFlay....'hats often top $100/pair, 16" crashes get about $80+, and the rides can get to about $125 for a 20". The only one I have ever owned which was unimpressive was the heavy ride...just too heavy, not enuff life to 'em. But the mediums or lighter were nice B8's.

They are very respectable.... symbols...
Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I LOVE this line. I've had several of these in the thin and medium weights. Outstanding. Sincerely. They are actually a bit darker than one would imagine. Mine are very very smooth. I've still got a set of 15 inch hats in a light and medium weight. oooooohhhhh so sweeeeeet.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I had a 22" heavy ride that I bought in the 80's and played for over 20 years, it was a great ride.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to GiantBeater

i use the 505 medium hats. great pair for Ringo esque washy sounds
Old 12-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I couldn't find any info on the Paiste website (maybe not patient enough to spend the time) to see why the seires was discontinued (progress, I suppose). Keeping an eye on some 505 hats on fleabay. I currently use an old set of Z-hats from the late '70's (heavy bottom, medium top), which I find are fairly versatile. Just love that Paiste stuff, though. We'll see.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozart View Post
I had a 22" heavy ride that I bought in the 80's and played for over 20 years, it was a great ride.

My 22" 505 Heavy Ride is still my "go-to" ride. I also have an 18" Heavy ride that I use when the gig calls for it....I keep my 18" Sound Creation Dark Ride for studio work...but live....I always use a 505 ride...

I love 505's.....I also have 14" hats, a 16 crash (just turned it into an "O-zone" crash) & a 10" splash....they're nice...but nothing beats the rides IMHO....
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have a 20in 505 Ride that I kept because I thought it sounded more pretty than a Zildjian from the 70s that I had. It certainly has nice bright beauty to it, though honestly, I wish the bell was a bit more loud and articulate - it is also a bit difficult to play for some reason. But the rest of the cymbal I love.

Does anyone else have the same frustration with the 505 bells?

I am using 404 crashes (black label) and am eager to hear a recording that I cut last week....needs a bit of mixing. Just a demo - but eager to hear how good the 404s will sound.

BTW, love my 400 HHs Actually the trick is to use it with a heavy bottom (of any kind), especially the soundedge, mastersound, soundwave, etc.

John

2Timothy1:7
Old 11-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozart View Post
love my 22 heavy

Fatchoppers
Tama
Ludwig