Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 10-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Most Valuable K Zildjian ?

I'm in the process of searching for some Zildjian cymbals. I'm a Paiste user, but still enjoy Zildjian cymbals. I found this ad for a 22" Zildjian ride cymbal,advertised as an A cymbal. Correct me if i'm wrong, but the hammering on this ride cymbal looks like K hammering ? And if this is the case, the seller has it advertised as a 22" A ride from the 50's-60's..
If this is the case, and this cymbal is an actual K Zildjian ride from that era, that would mean that this cymbal is well worth over $1000 ?
i called the seller last night and he told me that some guy was coming to pick it up.. If that cymbal is the real deal, then the lucky buyer just purchased possibly one of the most valuable rides, for $85 CDN..
These deals come along once in a lifetime. So, is it the real deal ??

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-batterie-per...ationFlag=true

Last edited by human71; 10-07-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Most Valuable K Zildjian ?

That's a Istanbul K. 22's can command a strong price! Some closer to the 2k mark.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

That's a K Zildjian Istanbul New Stamp to be specific. There is a tool in my signature where you can check the trademark stamp. The expected median price is around USD1575. The range is $1000 to $2250 for ones in reasonable condition. That's based on 33 completed sales. Half sell for between $1300 and $1750. Only 6% of sales reach that 2k mark.

This is based on my latest data. The older analysis of these based on smaller sample sizes is found here: http://black.net.nz/old-k/old-k-prices.html#22

I've recorded a few of these types of bargains since I've been tracking prices (since 2014). There are still people out there who just think they have some old tarnished cymbal on their hands. Crazy bargains and seriously damaged cymbals aren't part of the estimated prices. They get pulled out and provide other information, but you don't really want them in general price estimates.

Paiste 602/Sound Creation research click here
Which K Stamp? A DIY tool click here
Old K prices and weights click here
Avedis Zildjian gallery and timeline click here
Old A prices and weights click here
Old 10-07-2017, 11:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks for the replies guys, and i hate to say it but....I KNEW IT !!
I knew it was something valuable. I bet the guy who bought it hasn't a clue of what he's got.
Or maybe he does.. I don't know.. All i know is i missed the boat, yet again..
Old 10-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Most guys can tell by seeing and I'm sure he's jumping for joy with the holy grail of pies never happen here
Sweet 1964 wmp super Classic with matching. Jazz
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825
Old 10-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by human71 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, and i hate to say it but....I KNEW IT !!
I knew it was something valuable. I bet the guy who bought it hasn't a clue of what he's got.
Or maybe he does.. I don't know.. All i know is i missed the boat, yet again..
Don't feel too bad. You didn't get to play it. I may take some heat for saying this, and this is surely only my specific opinion, but I find that a lot of "old K's" are DOGS! Yes, some of them are a dream to play and sound like Elvin just played it, but I 've sampled my fair share of them at vintage drum shows etc. A lot of them are very thick and pingy and not very musical. Others are just "meh". So, without knowing the weight or being able to play it, just tell yourself that this one was a thick, unmusical hunk of metal. Even if it wasn't, that will at least make you feel better, I hope!
Old 10-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I agree , as to some 50's A's they are the dream cymbal , it really depends on the metallurgy and artisan skill level
Sweet 1964 wmp super Classic with matching. Jazz
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825
Old 10-09-2017, 01:35 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
Don't feel too bad. You didn't get to play it. I may take some heat for saying this, and this is surely only my specific opinion, but I find that a lot of "old K's" are DOGS! Yes, some of them are a dream to play and sound like Elvin just played it, but I 've sampled my fair share of them at vintage drum shows etc. A lot of them are very thick and pingy and not very musical. Others are just "meh". So, without knowing the weight or being able to play it, just tell yourself that this one was a thick, unmusical hunk of metal. Even if it wasn't, that will at least make you feel better, I hope!
Yeah. Lol ! Thanks for the consolation But if it was a sweet sounding cymbal..
Mmmm..Damn.. smh.. I've got my eye on a K Custom dark ride, which sounds absolutely
amazing to my ears..Not a bad deal either..

Last edited by human71; 10-09-2017 at 01:50 AM.