Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Paiste 505's

Thanks Jim, that was a good read. Good stuff. Post (or PM) any more Tommy Wells threads that discuss the 505s. He has so many that he has posted to, that reading all of them is just too time consuming. I have drums to clean! Then, of course, have alot to read up on here too!

Thanks again,
John

2Timothy1:7
Old 04-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Paiste 505's

Earlier in this thread I mentioned some recording my brother and I did - using my 404s (and I think I might have used my 505(s) as well??)

Many eager to hear the 404s recorded......Well......nope - still not mixed down, and have not heard it myself!!!

AT THE SAME TIME.......

I decided to shoot a quick video last night. In this line-up is the following (my left to right as I sit on the kit):

14" 404 SE top (brown label)/Amir bottom
18" CB700 Crash
16" 404 Crash (black label)
18" 404 Crash (black label)
20" 505 Medium Ride (used as Crash/Ride)
22" 505 Ride

This is a MONO recording (still trying to solve that issue - need to buy an adapter I suppose - MONO camera)

This is also a NON-Listed video (there is a purpose) - accessible only by you who has the link here:

As you can hear, these 404s are plenty bright, though they have the reputation of being darker. Fact is, I would describe them as much more focused with a more narrow EQ spread.

Note: for this time around, I used an external mic - a Labtec computer mic - not HQ at all, and compared to the built-in mic it is much more tame on the highs - if anything this mic makes the cymbals sound less bright. Now especially considering this - this shows plenty of highs coming off these....nice washing.

Have a chance to buy 404s - go for it....great cymbals. Thanks to Backbeatkeeper who sold these to me. Great guy.

John

2Timothy1:7

Last edited by Drummerjohn333; 04-15-2013 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling