Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 07:23 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Hello......Is This Thing Working?

Ironic...This place has been provided free of charge for over 15 years...thousands of posts over that time. Thousands of questions asked/answered....thousands of pictures posted...videos...etc. And now, after all this time, some ingrate comes along and tries to cast blame on the owner for not caring...wow.

We are all in an extremely small and specialized segment of the musical instrument world and lots of knowledge has been given out to people already. Once questions have been answered and people have been educated, they often don't come back. The "regulars" remain...just in case...but the growing lack of interest in vintage drums isn't the owner's fault. It's just the way things have evolved.

What have you done to help the forum, Drumbob? How much money have you contributed to the site? Nothing? And yet, here you are, using this place to plug your book with every post.

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 09-29-2020, 10:38 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'm down to one kit and this stupid virus and response has (hopefully) temporarily put live music on hold. Maybe that's why the slowness.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:31 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

If I'm in any way typical of vintage drum nuts, this long period of being housebound except for necessities (for the intelligent people among us) has us looking at our drums and wondering what we can do to improve them or spiff 'em up. This forum has been an oasis of information and ideas for us. Just yesterday I dug this out of my stash of future projects.
It needs to be cleaned. I need to add one lug, internal tone control, hoops, and heads. It also needs a strainer. I need to figure out which type will fit the two mounting holes positioned 2 3/8" apart. I think that 2 1/2" would also work if one or both of the holes is/are slightly enlarged. Any suggestions about a strainer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slingy Aluminum Snare #1 (1).JPG
Views:	24
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	132482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slingy Aluminum Snare #2.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	132483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slingy aluminum snare #3.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	132484  
Old 09-29-2020, 12:16 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hey lookie here what I found a few minutes after posting about the Slingy aluminum shell. The missing lug was in my parts stash. I can't remember why I removed it and put it in there. I've got a strand of snares, and some usable drum heads. I may even have usable non-Slingy hoops. This "birman" strainer fits in the holes from the original Slingy strainer. I'll look for a suitable internal tone control which may show up here at home. And, when it comes time to reassemble the drum, I may just bite the bullet and use the "birman" strainer. By the way, I know it's a P something or other. Which one is it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	birman strainer.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	132485  
Old 09-29-2020, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

If you don't care about it being vintage, I have heard very good things about the Inde strainer. It has adjustable hole spacing so should work fine. They have two styles of butt plates if you want to replace that too.
https://www.indedrum.com/drum-upgrad...ainerbuttplate
Old 09-29-2020, 12:54 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin shell View Post
If you don't care about it being vintage, I have heard very good things about the Inde strainer. It has adjustable hole spacing so should work fine. They have two styles of butt plates if you want to replace that too.
https://www.indedrum.com/drum-upgrad...ainerbuttplate
Thanks for the tip. I think that if I disregard authenticity, that "birman" strainer would probably do alright.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:30 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

That is a #140 Aluminum snare. A "Rapid" strainer would be original. You want one like this with the three hole slider: http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcj...s_rapid-5.html Yours is a 70's to early 80's model. If you have the serial number we could figure out the correct tone control.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:21 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerfan View Post
That is a #140 Aluminum snare. A "Rapid" strainer would be original. You want one like this with the three hole slider: http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcj...s_rapid-5.html Yours is a 70's to early 80's model. If you have the serial number we could figure out the correct tone control.
Thanks for the help the serial number is 135486.
I just ordered a Ludwig tone control that will fit the holes and the knob looks pretty much OK.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
Hi, I'm new here. Can anyone tell me what my Biman snare is worth?? Here's a pic!
OMG, that is too funny!!
“Ladies or Gentlemen” it’s a Biman.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:12 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Lugs View Post
Ironic...This place has been provided free of charge for over 15 years...thousands of posts over that time. Thousands of questions asked/answered....thousands of pictures posted...videos...etc. And now, after all this time, some ingrate comes along and tries to cast blame on the owner for not caring...wow.

We are all in an extremely small and specialized segment of the musical instrument world and lots of knowledge has been given out to people already. Once questions have been answered and people have been educated, they often don't come back. The "regulars" remain...just in case...but the growing lack of interest in vintage drums isn't the owner's fault. It's just the way things have evolved.

What have you done to help the forum, Drumbob? How much money have you contributed to the site? Nothing? And yet, here you are, using this place to plug your book with every post.
I was thinking the exact same thing, well said!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Closed Thread