Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 05-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jazziz
Default 26" Paiste Formula 602 Medium Ride

I Bought This Cymbal In App. 1972 In Germany. If There Is Somebody Interested To Learn More About This Huge And Very Nice Sounding Cymbal, Please Let Me Know. Maybe I Will Sell It, It's A Real Vintage Cymbal And In Perfect Shape.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: 26" Paiste Formula 602 Medium Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazziz View Post
I Bought This Cymbal In App. 1972 In Germany. If There Is Somebody Interested To Learn More About This Huge And Very Nice Sounding Cymbal, Please Let Me Know. Maybe I Will Sell It, It's A Real Vintage Cymbal And In Perfect Shape.
You probably have something worth four digits there.

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:28 PM

that's right! Paiste told me to produce this cymbal today would cost app. 1300 bucks. another question> i guess you're the drummer for cheap trick? the salesperson at L&McQuade told me the story. You know, because I just moved from Germany unfortunately I have no idea about cheap trick. But have to say, we are all in the same boat, all musicians with passion and love for music. I would like to know about you. I have some video stuff on youtube (Benny Christa) and music on myspace.com (benchrista) or reverbnation.com Maybe you want to listen or watch some stuff there... lol... Have to play my old Yamaha Recording 9000 again. Ben
Old 05-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Naw- I am not Bun E. Carlos. Sorry!!!!

Wish I were. He's cool as hell. I am just some hack who writes fun songs and beats the pulp out of vintage drums.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
Naw- I am not Bun E. Carlos. Sorry!!!!

Wish I were. He's cool as hell. I am just some hack who writes fun songs and beats the pulp out of vintage drums.
That's o.k. for me. No problem. Have fun and talk to you soon!
Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

More about why your cymbal is worth some serious money:

1) It is a pre-'80s 602, and those are HIGHLY desirable

2) It is a weird size, though in that time period, cymbals were getting bigger. I have a friend with a 30" Zildjian ride from around that vintage.

3) I can't remember when Paiste had the ghost lettering, but this time period seems to be right for that. If that is there, it's worth some $$$, as well.

4) It is a pre-reissue 602 (predates it by about 39 years, infact), and it's a pre-blue ink 602. Those are holy grail cymbals. Maybe not a flat ride from the late '60s, but desirable, nonetheless...

Old 05-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

say how about a picture

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:41 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Jazziz was just here for 9 days in 2011 trying to sell that cymbal.

Last Activity: 05-16-2011 04:43 PM

If that link saying "send a message via Skype" still works, you would be better off trying that.

The level of opinion and anecdotal evidence in this thread shows me how far we have come since 2011. Nobody seems to have mentioned actual weights and prices.

A 602 26" was on offer for $500 in April 2018. Pre Serial and weighed 3700g. My comment then was:

Quote:
$500 is very reasonable, although its hard to say what the market in Norway might be like. I don't have any sales for diameters greater than 24", but for 24" there are 47 sales and the median price is $450. However, given shipping costs it is probably only worth getting if you think you want it. Buying it just to resell (especially to the world market out of Norway) might not get you anywhere.
I've got one or two leads for you about other 26" 602s but they might not be as interesting as far as 1972 purchase year and associations with potential German 602 trademarks and/or other ink details this 2011 thread was about.

The largest production cymbals I've come across remain 30" Ziljdian cymbals not 40" as claimed above. If somebody shows me a reference and a photo of a 40" production cymbal being measured that would change the state of evidence. Offerings for ride cymbals from 18" to 26" do appear in the Zildjian Catalog of 1948. The two 30" cymbals I've recorded sales for are both from the 70s. One of those was advertised as a 40" and the seller got snarky when questioned about that. How dare we suggest it was only 30" and of course he had measured it accurately. It had shrunk to 30" by the time it finally sold.

I've also done some preliminary work which shows that the belief that cymbals over 22" must be relatively more valuable is not supported by the evidence. Once you get past 22" the numbers of cymbals on offer goes down, but so does the demand. It looks like the price curve flattens out (measured in both price and price per inch). Rare does not automatically mean expensive.

ref with discussion of graph: http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-prices.html#big

I go into the 4 exceptionally high prices in the text. I haven't yet fully replicated this work on 602s, but suspect it will be true there as well. I have documented the same effect in 24" K Zildjian Istanbul cymbals (yes they do exist) where they don't get the very high prices some people seem to expect either. Size matters, but not the way you expected.

Cymbal Wiki || A free hypertext Cymbal Book brought up to date for the 21st Century
Paiste portal click here || Avedis Zildjian portal click here || K Zildjian Istanbul portal click here

Last edited by zenstat; 10-31-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typos fixed
Old 11-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Uh...clear pics or I'm calling this one.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:23 PM

wouldn't, PSYOP of Cymbalwiki, be more appropriate for a southern hemisphere CIA station man?

26"? And I like he placed it on the 'far' left..side...I think he still has a cymbal like that in that spot today..

https://www.insidehook.com/wp-conten...ze=5296%2C3484

http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/artic...rn-drummer.jpg

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/mick-fleetwood.html

Last edited by jda; 07-28-2019 at 07:40 PM.