Old 06-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Ludwig timbale help
Guys, I picked up one lone 14 inch Luddy timbale and don't know the first thing about it. Pointy b/o badge and a serial number, original head, but don't know the name of the finish, and I'd love a picture close up of the correct mounting bracket hardware so I can get this thing up to snuff and out for sale. Not in the picture is a hoop in very good shape and the other chromes have typical wear for their age. Sadly, the finish has a fair amount of scratches.
I'd be thankful for any light you can shed on the matter. Dean
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig timbale help
Neat drum. Looks like one of the brass shells. 14x6, right? The lug mounts look a little low on the drum. Almost made me think it could take a bow tie lug, but I'm sure not.

They should just be a Ludwig clip mount like this one.

https://reverb.com/item/22294651-lud...rc=aw.ds&pla=1

Currently looking for a 3-ply 24x14 Ludwig in champagne sparkle w/rail consolette and cymbal mount!
Old 06-21-2019, 12:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

What you have there is a steel chrome timbales shell 1979 -80. As to lugs it uses Ludwig mini lugs , and standard Clip mount. as to rim that timbales came with standard steel drum rim. Here I have posted photos of what it should look like and Clip mount for that set. I have also post and older set that i own witch is up for sale if any one interested
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-28-2019, 03:18 PM

Guys, with your help, the timbale is rehabbed and eBay listing is pending. Turned out very nice, but I'm a little too fussy to be comfortable with the scratches in the shell. Very curious to see what the market will dictate as to what the drum will sell for. Thanks alot. d.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-28-2019, 11:12 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Scratches come off easy . A single drum is very hard sale unless person needs it bad.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:58 AM

If I need to deal with one of these brass shells with scratches in the future, what are your tips for removing them? I figured selling just one might be a challenge but at my listing price of just under 20 bucks, it might be worth it to someone just for the chromes...
Thanks for your help. d.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

All those scratches come off with a buffing kit you can buy a kit at any Lowes or Home depot. All you would need extra is a drill and you can buff out any and all scratches. here is a photo of what it look like. Just buff the drum and all scratches will come out
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-01-2019, 09:02 PM

That tip is most helpful. Never heard of the product! Appreciate you sharing. Item is on my shopping list. I can always count on you guys here on VDF for help-you're the best! Dean
Old 07-01-2019, 09:59 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansdrums59 View Post
If I need to deal with one of these brass shells with scratches in the future, what are your tips for removing them? I figured selling just one might be a challenge but at my listing price of just under 20 bucks, it might be worth it to someone just for the chromes...
Thanks for your help. d.
The badge grommet has a cut and shouldn't. The inside looks like raw Stainless stock. How do you determine it's Brass/Chrome ?

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 07-02-2019, 07:10 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
The badge grommet has a cut and shouldn't. The inside looks like raw Stainless stock. How do you determine it's Brass/Chrome ?
OddBall All timbales made by Ludwig are made of steel and plated