Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 AM

Default 1975(?) Premier - Grey Shimmer
First of all, hello. This is my first post. I've been lurking on these forums as a guest for quite a while and I thought it was about time to register! I just bought a set of Premier drums (shellset; no snare) sizes, 22x17 - 12x8 - 14x8 - 16x16 with a grey shimmer finish for about 550 Dollars (540 Swiss Francs). I haven't picked the set up yet but from the pictures, the kick drum looks like it is made of mahogany. Browsing an old Premier catalog from 1975, it looks like it could be a B303 set. Any feedback and comments are very welcome. Pics are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: 1975(?) Premier - Grey Shimmer
Hello and ,

You'd better have placed this in the 'Gallery'.

Anyway, you are not alone with this great wrap:
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...t=grey+shimmer

Yours is slightly younger than mine, as is has the more modern L-arms and theirt respective brackets.
(But you know this already from the other forum, right? )

Ralf
Old 01-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashd View Post
First of all, hello. This is my first post. I've been lurking on these forums as a guest for quite a while and I thought it was about time to register! I just bought a set of Premier drums (shellset; no snare) sizes, 22x17 - 12x8 - 14x8 - 16x16 with a grey shimmer finish for about 550 Dollars (540 Swiss Francs). I haven't picked the set up yet but from the pictures, the kick drum looks like it is made of mahogany. Browsing an old Premier catalog from 1975, it looks like it could be a B303 set. Any feedback and comments are very welcome. Pics are attached.
Hi Trashd, pleased to meet you!

Those look sweet! I have a happy spot with that wrap. I have some MIJ Royal Star's with nearly that same wrap on them. I'm sure those Premier's are much better drums though. I've never owned a Premier kit... Hmmm... Don't really have any space for another kit anyway, but it might be fun someday if I run across one...

How are you Ralf! Yeah, that kit of yours is a beauty! What's up in Europe? Foggy this morning in Cali.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Your kit looks early to mid seventies,that is the time they had Mahogany interiors,I have never took a kit apart to look at it ,but some say the drums are all Mahogany,other say the shells have a core ply of birch,with beech re-rings,I am sure the premier guys will be able to help more,Great looking kit and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hi,

Fishwaltz, over here in good ol' Germany we are glad to not have snow, although it's the season for that white thing. As I'm in the lucky position to own both a Star and a Premier, I don't see a big difference between them. Both chrome hardware is extraordinary/ excellent and both have reinforcement rings. Perhaps the design of the lugs makes the difference (I LOVE that art deco style of the Premier's).
Star drums are still so much underrated.
Guess it would be a nice idea to bring yours and mine together to compare them. It's just 12,000 km in between us ...

Ralf
Old 01-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Nice set of Premiers you've gotten a hold of. I bet those are awesome,they were making some really good stuff back then. The wrap is kick ass as well. They don't do them like that anymore.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Trashd, to VDF.
Your drums have stamped hoops, whereas Ralf's are die cast. I wonder... were stamped hoops an option at the time of manufacture, or were they switched out by a former owner?
I owned a 14x8 tom from that period with die casts, and the 2000 series snare drums always came standard with die casts... I have a 2000 from 1975 and a 2005 purchased new in 1982.

The set below is from 1969-70, shown with an older 14x4 Royal Ace.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-22-2011, 03:07 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hi,

As far as I know, the triple flanged hoops were built in at the cheaper 'Olympic' line at that time (late 60s/ early 70s) only. All Premier's came with die cast hoops only (but I'm not 100 % sure).

Maybe Premier started using the triple flanged hoops also regularly - to make their drumsets comparable in price against Far East competitors - in the middle of the 70s?

Ralf
Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 AM

The triple-flanged hoops are NOT original. The guy who restored the kit nabbed the original hoops for another drum kit he was working on. He also removed all the original tom-dampers which I recovered and re-mounted. I pleaded with the guy to throw in the original hoops, but he wanted to keep them. Other than that the kit is in great original shape. I'll post updated pics soon so you all can see how I set them up for playing.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
Hi,

Fishwaltz, over here in good ol' Germany we are glad to not have snow, although it's the season for that white thing. As I'm in the lucky position to own both a Star and a Premier, I don't see a big difference between them. Both chrome hardware is extraordinary/ excellent and both have reinforcement rings. Perhaps the design of the lugs makes the difference (I LOVE that art deco style of the Premier's).
Star drums are still so much underrated.
Guess it would be a nice idea to bring yours and mine together to compare them. It's just 12,000 km in between us ...

Ralf
Well, okay! Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada looks like it's about halfway + / -. I'll pack up my old Royal Star and get going in the morning. I should be there by sometime Saturday. Look for my Chevy Silverado pick up.