Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 04-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default What are they?

My good friend Ed got these cymbals with the Slingerland cardboard set I bought back from him. I have to assume they are from the same time period. I traded them for a repaired 2002 crash and a ZBT ride. After and intense cleaning w/ Barkeepers Friend and Nevr Dull...this is what I've got. No brand or logo of any kind, sort of primitive lathing and small hammer marks. They are on my church set now,. and sound pretty d4mn good. Bright, medium thin top and medium bottom. Maybe some type of Italian cymbals?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	83554  
Old 04-14-2015, 07:01 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: What are they?

Could be Italian.

Here is an annotated illustration of the things about a cymbal which make me think it might be Italian. None of these features are unique to Italian cymbals, but when a number of them occur together it does raise the thought in my mind.

The blue arrows point to places where there is a "step change" in the lathing. This is associated with being Italian in origin. I've seen video of them lathing and they do it in a series of steps rather than one continuous motion.

The red oval shows a little bit of fine lathe chatter (hard to see -- sorry) and also takes in a fairly sharp (or "abrupt") transition between the bow and the bell. I see step change lathing and an abrupt bell bow transition on your photo.

Very shallow hammering such as your top hat shows is also consistent (but not limited) to Italian origin cymbals.

And The Cymbal Book p165 mentions that UFIP produced cymbals for Slingerland in the 60s and 70s, for sale under the name Kashian or UFIP. Sometimes the Italian origin was only shown with a rubber ink stamp on the cymbal and once that is polished off there are no identifying marks left. But of course cymbals can come with drums which aren't the ones the drum manufacturer intended, and they can be freely changed later on in the life of the drum kit.

Hope this helps.

Cymbal Wiki || A free hypertext Cymbal Book brought up to date for the 21st Century
Paiste portal click here || Avedis Zildjian portal click here || K Zildjian Istanbul portal click here
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: What are they?

You have confirmed my suspicion-as stated, they are nice sounding hi-hats, perfect for that church application. Thanks for the info!