Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-21-2017, 11:06 AM
11frozentreat11 11frozentreat11 is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 188
Default WFL Zephyr Lug Green Sparkle Set

Hey all,

Has anyone here ever seen a late 30s WFL drum in green sparkle? I didn't think they even existed - but I just picked this set up at a pawn shop yesterday!

I wonder if it's at all possible to find a matching floor tom...



UPDATE:

I took some better pics of the drums! View them here: http://imgur.com/a/yw3XJ

UPDATE 2:

The toms and snare are now clean. Found original tom holders and cymbal holders, as well! Photos here: http://imgur.com/a/H4SGT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WFL set.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	109772   Click image for larger version

Name:	wfl snareeeee.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	109773  

Last edited by 11frozentreat11; 08-03-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2017, 01:49 PM
mlayton mlayton is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,982
Default Re: WFL Zephyr Lug Green Sparkle Set

Think that these were on Ebay a week or so ago. Was surprised that they didn't sell. The snare alone is a gem. Great find!

Item number was 201922362119
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-22-2017, 12:52 AM
markrocks68 markrocks68 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sun Diego CA
Posts: 1,053
Default Re: WFL Zephyr Lug Green Sparkle Set

Nice one!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-22-2017, 11:32 AM
11frozentreat11 11frozentreat11 is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 188
Default Re: WFL Zephyr Lug Green Sparkle Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton View Post
Think that these were on Ebay a week or so ago. Was surprised that they didn't sell. The snare alone is a gem. Great find!

Item number was 201922362119
Yes, it's the same set! I about shot coffee out my nose the morning I saw them listed.

I didn't have the money at the time, though, so luckily they didn't sell on ebay! They were located only 2.5 hours from me, so I made an offer of $1000 and went to get them this past Saturday.

They sound even better than I imagined! The bearing edges are almost totally flat, which I love. The toms are both classic early-WFL 2-ply construction with vertical grain interiors, and the snare and bass are both nice, thick 3-ply shells.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2017, 11:46 AM
DolFan54 DolFan54 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 702
Default Re: WFL Zephyr Lug Green Sparkle Set

Wow! Very cool find! I'm a sucker for green sparkle!
__________________
1957 George Way BDP 26" concert bass drum
1959 George Way BDP 22/12/16 w/ 5.5x14
1959 George Way Green Sparkle 22/12/16 w/5.5x14
1961 George Way Blue Sparkle 20/12/15
1961 George Way Jelly Bean 20/12/14 w/4.5x14
1960ís Camco Oaklawn Champagne 20/12/14/16w/5x14
1971-73 Camco Chanute Walnut 24/14/18 w/5x14 COB
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2017, 11:48 AM
mlayton mlayton is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,982
Default Re: WFL Zephyr Lug Green Sparkle Set

I've got a early WFL 7x11 tom (Wfl decal only) with Zephyr lugs. It also has the vertical grain. I've also documented some other earlier ones with the same vertical grain interior. I don't ever recall them described as 2 ply though. Very interesting. How did I miss this?

Glad that you were able to get the kit!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2017, 11:49 AM
BEC BEC is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 519
Default Re: WFL Zephyr Lug Green Sparkle Set

I've owned sea green Zephyrs, and broken glass gold sparkle zephyrs.
They made all the usual colors, they're "just" very rare.
Beautiful drums you got there! Best wishes on a floor tom.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-22-2017, 07:20 PM
11frozentreat11 11frozentreat11 is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 188
Default Re: WFL Zephyr Lug Green Sparkle Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton View Post
I've got a early WFL 7x11 tom (Wfl decal only) with Zephyr lugs. It also has the vertical grain. I've also documented some other earlier ones with the same vertical grain interior. I don't ever recall them described as 2 ply though. Very interesting. How did I miss this?

Glad that you were able to get the kit!
Is the drum you mentioned the one with the cool wood hoops? That drum is awesome!

I took the batter head off the 13" and took some pics for you. Looks to be 2-ply to me! It's essentially the same as the 3-ply shells, just without the inner ply - I assume the poplar core of 3-ply shells is also vertical grain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC View Post
I've owned sea green Zephyrs, and broken glass gold sparkle zephyrs.
They made all the usual colors, they're "just" very rare.
Beautiful drums you got there! Best wishes on a floor tom.
Sea green zephyrs?! Wow, do you have any pics of any of the drums you mentioned? I (and many others, I assume) would love to see them! Do you still own any of them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edge 1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	109804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Edge 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	109805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Int.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	109806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Greeeeennnn.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	109807  

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-22-2017, 08:03 PM
mlayton mlayton is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,982
Default Re: WFL Zephyr Lug Green Sparkle Set

Yes, it's a maple finish with wood hoops with dual blue inlays, dual mufflers. It's an orphan. I'd love to put it to use. Need to.

Thanks for the pics of the interior. That's pretty neat. My 52 year old eyes are not sharp enough to tell exactly what that is. I see the poplar though for sure. I love the Green. Like faded part and the unfaded. Beautiful.

I would imagine that your kit originally had no floor tom. Just a ride tom on each side of the bass drum. You might be able to find some Zephyr lugs and rewrap a project drum in Green Sparkle to go with your kit if so desired.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-23-2017, 11:00 AM
11frozentreat11 11frozentreat11 is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 188
Default Re: WFL Zephyr Lug Green Sparkle Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton View Post
Yes, it's a maple finish with wood hoops with dual blue inlays, dual mufflers. It's an orphan. I'd love to put it to use. Need to.

Thanks for the pics of the interior. That's pretty neat. My 52 year old eyes are not sharp enough to tell exactly what that is. I see the poplar though for sure. I love the Green. Like faded part and the unfaded. Beautiful.

I would imagine that your kit originally had no floor tom. Just a ride tom on each side of the bass drum. You might be able to find some Zephyr lugs and rewrap a project drum in Green Sparkle to go with your kit if so desired.
You're probably right - I doubt this set originally came with a floor tom, but it sure would be great to find one sometime! I'd be alright with pretty much any era WFL as long as it's original green sparkle.

This gold sparkle 16x12 will do for now, I suppose! I resurrected it from a black painted shell last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WFL.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	109832  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign