Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 PM

Default Gretsch bass drum needs help

Hi,

New member here! I got this 14x24" bass drum from 2112 Percussion, in Raleigh, NC. I have mid-2000's USA Maple kit in Satin Walnut finish, and it has a 16x20" BD. Currently, I am in a loud rock-blues band and wanted a larger kick, so here it is. I don't really mind the difference in color, but I would like to get some ideas/opinions about where to go with this as a potential restoration project.

1. As you can see, there are holes from a previous mount. I would be interested in adding a mount that will accomodate the two toms from the USA maple kit, a 10 and 12" tom. This would require my patching these holes and drilling a new center hole that will accomodate a 1" post. The alternative is patch/cover the hole and hang the toms from cymbal stands. That would be OK and probably easier, but I like a BD mounted setup better. I am looking for advice or ideas about how best to do any of this, especially: how can I best patch these holes?

2. Should I sand this drum down and refinish with a satin walnut stain? I have done some furniture wood staining before, as well as extensive drum maintenance. I know that my color shade might not end up matching the original, but very close would be OK with me. I have never tried to remove a lacquer finish (or whatever it is on this drum) so I don't really know what I am in for.

3. Should I replace the spurs? How well will they hold up to the weight of the toms and mounting hardware?

4. Anyone have an idea which decade/time span this drum is from?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	68462   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	68463  
Old 03-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Gretsch bass drum needs help

The badge is the same as mine, which was 1972, but those spurs are different, and don't look right to me (although I could be wrong)

AFAIK, the only walnut finish at that time was lacquered - not satin. I couldn't get it back to a uniform colour, as the walnut stain was soaked right through the outside ply, and any attempt to re-stain would have been a blotchy disaster, but since this drum looks to be natural, you may well be in luck!

Robbie

Tags
bass drum , gretsch