Old 07-22-2015, 07:25 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via AIM to seantdrums
Default Sabian hh heavy ride cymbal (sizzle)
Got this cymbal with a premier 5 pce 1976 drum kit. In total with lokfast stands and a 5 star 18" super zyn cymbal total paid £55.00..The weight is 3050grams one rivet is missing. It doesn't look like its ever been cleaned. On the underneath there are remains of tape. On the underside of bell is a signature not sure of who, probably the maker. There is no keyholing dents or dings. The sound is amazing. What I want to know is what year it was made. Also what is the price of these sabians these days....Thanks....sean. PS I ALWAYS USE SLEEVES AND WASHER ON MY CYMBALS. I JUST SET THIS UP FOR THE PICS.......THX.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by seantdrums; 08-03-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:41 PM
zenstat

Default Re: Sabian 20" heavy sizzle ride need info please
As to the "signature", after some good research work (and some unpleasantness) I think we've finally got some well documented information on it. It says:

SAB IAN

Specific post: http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/...-hh/?p=1274381

Full thread: http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/...der-sabian-hh/

It looks like the SAB IAN form is early, and it was later shortened to just the SAB (and nicknamed the "Vinney" although I guess we should call it the "SAB" now). But early and late aren't really sorted out yet and yours may be a counterexample to the idea that dropping the "IAN" was later.

As to getting a year for it...the ink HH Heavy Ride suggests it isn't from the earliest eras of Sabian (early 80s is when they got going), so maybe mid 1990s?. I've been recording bits and pieces about how the model ink logo changed from HH to Hand Hammered and back to HH, but I'm not there yet. Others may have a better idea. I've been focusing more on the three (or more) ink styles prior to yours. Those are quite different again.

About all I can suggest on prices is that Sabian doesn't seem to command as much of a price premium on used cymbals as Zildjian does. But I don't pay too much attention to used Sabian prices. I've recorded some Sabian price data in the past but it's neither current nor ready for analysis. Sort of an orphaned project.

Last edited by zenstat; 07-22-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:33 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks Zenstat......For your input as usual a wealth of information. I have included a pic of logo. Would you advise cleaning the cymbal or leaving it in its original state.......Thanks....sean.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-23-2015, 03:59 PM
zenstat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantdrums View Post
Thanks Zenstat......For your input as usual a wealth of information. I have included a pic of logo. Would you advise cleaning the cymbal or leaving it in its original state.......Thanks....sean.
Thanks.

People say the SABIAN pressed in die stamp hasn't changed over the years, only the ink. But I don't know if the people who say that have had a close look for changes or not. It seems like all the attention has been lavished on Avedis Zildjian and Kerope Zildjian when it comes to pressed in die stamps. And I haven't looked at the SABIAN die stamps either.

As far as cleaning goes, I tend to be a non cleaner but that's just a matter of personal taste. And possibly sloth on my part. If I have a cymbal which is really disgusting with dirt and grime (and not a sacred relic where that's part of the provenance) I will give it a light cleaning with simple detergent and water and a soft cloth.

I do advise people who are interested in selling a cymbal that not cleaning it is less work, and you can just say to buyers "I haven't cleaned it, leaving you the option of clean or dirty".
Old 07-26-2015, 05:44 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstat View Post
Thanks.

People say the SABIAN pressed in die stamp hasn't changed over the years, only the ink. But I don't know if the people who say that have had a close look for changes or not. It seems like all the attention has been lavished on Avedis Zildjian and Kerope Zildjian when it comes to pressed in die stamps. And I haven't looked at the SABIAN die stamps either.

As far as cleaning goes, I tend to be a non cleaner but that's just a matter of personal taste. And possibly sloth on my part. If I have a cymbal which is really disgusting with dirt and grime (and not a sacred relic where that's part of the provenance) I will give it a light cleaning with simple detergent and water and a soft cloth.

I do advise people who are interested in selling a cymbal that not cleaning it is less work, and you can just say to buyers "I haven't cleaned it, leaving you the option of clean or dirty".
Thanks for the info. I decided to clean cymbal with Tomato sauce as usual has come out classy. I dont use traditional cleaners as they are a waste of money. White vinegar for rusty metal parts. Red tomato sauce for cymbals.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:11 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

The cymbal is now on ebay for sale. Don't let it get away if you want it.......Thanks..sean.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

After cleaning with tomato sauce ......The cymbal looks class. Just compare to the first pics I posted.......sean
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'm presently about 10 minutes away from the Sabian factory and am (finally)going on a tour in 2 days! I'll see what I can find out about stamps and such. Seems like everybody and their uncle work there around these parts!
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Old 08-15-2015, 08:35 PM
Vintage Drum Guru