Old 02-09-2020, 06:11 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Trouble With Tinnitus
I have light to moderate tinnitus. It is my understanding via many Y/T videos that it is the brain trying to make up for certain frequencies that are missing from your full-spectrum hearing. And there are ways to mask the effects of tinnitus with sound generators which counter the brain activity. This will not help the day-to-day tinnitus problem. Mine is a very high pitched tone that varies in intensity but is always present.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:18 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantro View Post
Yes, the 1/8" jack plugs into your laptop, phone or tablet...

Here is some info:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffre.../#e30d71927a2a

Cheers
You opened up a whole new world that I had no idea about Grantro!

I went and checked out the headphones you mentioned, the CAD Audio DH100s, and that opened me up to about 1000 other cool devices with ambient noise reduction technology. Goodness, there is a lot of pretty cool stuff out there to help me with my tinnitus problem.

I forgot that my wife has a JBL noise reduction headset, and I tried it when I was drumming. On full ambient silence mode, amazingly, I could barely hear my drums, which was a little off putting, but when I turned it to minimum, I could hear the drums reasonable well. And most importantly, the music in the headphones wasn't overly loud. But they are strictly wireless Bluetooth, and I don't really want that.

So after all the research, I just ordered the CAD 100s you recommended in the first place. I trust your drummers perspective. Thank you!

jda I have been told the same thing about the "fines". Caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and chocolate are big culprits. I can say that caffeine in my case, does make the ringing worse. Tough to stay away from though...

Last edited by JimmySticks; 02-19-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:14 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

You what helps; (crazy)...Tie a handkerchief around your head...tight.. I'm not kidding/
(first put a knot in handkerchief..)

Put a tossle cap on; slide the handkerchief over head; fold the cap edges up...

Something...about pressure on the skull..relieves pressure..in ears? ..it's weird
(or diverts pressure..to elsewhere.. ) appears to be helpful.
Just careful don't leave it on too long or too tight
) (!!

Last edited by jda; 02-19-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
You what helps; (crazy)...Tie a handkerchief around your head...tight.. I'm not kidding/
(first put a knot in handkerchief..)

Put a tossle cap on; slide the handkerchief over head; fold the cap edges up...

Something...about pressure on the skull..relieves pressure..in ears? ..it's weird
(or diverts pressure..to elsewhere.. ) appears to be helpful.
Just careful don't leave it on too long or too tight
) (!!
Your not setting me up here, right?

Hey, I'll give anything a shot at this point!
Old 02-19-2020, 02:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Absolutely not Jimmy..
Old 02-22-2020, 09:02 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Mine started about 5 years ago. Always around drums, loud cars and printing machines. To be honest mine mimicks a med to high pitch from a digital HP machine I ran for 7 years. Operator console was 2 feet from the machine. Only when its dead silent does it start to bother me a bit. Once I'm around people talking, music, TV, work etc...... it does not phase me really.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

So the Cad Audio DH100 headset that I ordered came in today, and so far so good!

These headphones are reasonably comfortable, they have pretty decent sound for what they are and they seem pretty well built. I can definitely keep the music tracks I'm playing with at a nice reasonable volume, and I can still here my drums perfectly, not to loud, not to soft. These phones take away 19 decibels, which seems the perfect balance. Some headphones take out much more, but then you wouldn't hear your drums much, if at all. Best of all, only $39! Excellent!

This is going to be a big help to my playing. My tinnitus was worsening and I was wondering if I'd be able to continue drumming, but these phones are a Godsend and will let me continue!
Old 02-27-2020, 04:43 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Cool Re: Trouble With Tinnitus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySticks View Post
So the Cad Audio DH100 headset that I ordered came in today, and so far so good!

These headphones are reasonably comfortable, they have pretty decent sound for what they are and they seem pretty well built. I can definitely keep the music tracks I'm playing with at a nice reasonable volume, and I can still here my drums perfectly, not to loud, not to soft. These phones take away 19 decibels, which seems the perfect balance. Some headphones take out much more, but then you wouldn't hear your drums much, if at all. Best of all, only $39! Excellent!

This is going to be a big help to my playing. My tinnitus was worsening and I was wondering if I'd be able to continue drumming, but these phones are a Godsend and will let me continue!
Glad you like them!!

Cheers
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Old 02-27-2020, 09:34 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teverson-sr View Post
I have light to moderate tinnitus. It is my understanding via many Y/T videos that it is the brain trying to make up for certain frequencies that are missing from your full-spectrum hearing. And there are ways to mask the effects of tinnitus with sound generators which counter the brain activity. This will not help the day-to-day tinnitus problem. Mine is a very high pitched tone that varies in intensity but is always present.
I guess it's time for me to weigh in on this. I also have tinnitus, just as teverson describes. I went to an ENT and Audiologist a few years ago and they confirmed about the brain making up these missing frequencies. I have a constant high-pitched tone in my ears and have learned how to just live with it. I'm fortunate that it hasn't gotten worse. Brian Setzer recently had to postpone his concert tour due to his tinnitus! Brian's must be really bad to have to cancel concerts!

There are hearing aids that can be custom programmed to offset this annoying tone, but I'm not ready to stick these things in my ears! That, plus they are incredibly expensive!

Even as I type this out, I'm very aware of the high-pitched tone in my head...but I can deal with it.

I emphasize with anyone with this issue!

-Mark

Last edited by idrum4fun; 02-27-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Yeah Mark, I've heard about the brain causing the ringing and not the ears, and I even went through a dreaded MRI, but they found nothing wrong. But I've also been told it can have something to do with the tiny hairs of the inner ear canal, which when young and undamaged, stand up straight and filter the noises. As we age and are exposed to the noise of life, they sag, wilt and lay down (like other body parts!) and they no longer filter the sound and protect the ear.

A lot of rockers going down with serious tinnitus these days, the latest being Huey Lewis who is near deaf now with Menieres Disease. I may look into those hearing aids soon.