Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 12-20-2017, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Newby needs help

to be precise, that Kerope was brand new from NAMM 2015, was completely unbalanced in weight to one side, a lot, so I have decentered the hole to the opposite weight side, did not return 100% balanced but the situation had improved a lot, I not wanted to enlarge it even more, I do not remember well if it had become drier or the opposite ... that cymbal had a long gloomy resonance in the background a little annoying that in this way had also slightly reduced, in the end to not risk ruining it putting still my hands on it, I sold it

Last edited by steff; 12-21-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:22 PM

Thanks zenstat and steff for providing such a large amount of great information! I really enjoyed reading the black.net page.
The cymbals have not arrived yet, so I don't have to rush into a decision. I paid around $300 total, for three pies (A Zildjian 12" hi-hats and 13" crash), so I'm not too worried about ruining super rare or expensive cymbals. But, if you don't mind I'd like to get your opinions once I can post pics.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Looking forward to pictures when you get a chance.

Hats with smaller holes mean you also need the right sort of clutch to use them. But we can get into details about that after the pics. Plenty of time.

Paiste 602/Sound Creation research click here
Which K Stamp? A DIY tool click here
Old K prices and weights click here
Avedis Zildjian gallery and timeline click here
Old A prices and weights click here
Old 12-21-2017, 03:53 PM

... for my experience I learned that if a cymbal is not good immediately it is much better to try another, save a lot of time and money

but if your spirit is alchemist nothing can hold you back, no one can really make experience for you, and the experience in the first person is worth more than anything else ... even if at the end everyone or almost reach the same conclusions throwing ton of cymbals in the trash
Old 12-30-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Boyd View Post
Please forgive me if there's a sticky post somewhere to answer questions that get asked frequently (I looked, but couldn't find one).
I have just purchased my first couple of vintage cymbals with a plan to play them as part of a small "coffee shop kit" for acoustic music, small rooms, low volume gigs, etc. The cymbals are not super rare or collectable.
After the sale the seller mentioned something about the "smaller hole" in the cymbals. I wasn't aware of this issue and need advice on how to proceed.
Is drilling larger holes in the cymbals a horrible idea?
Thanks in advance.
Jack
Whooooaaaa! No drilling holes, get a $25 vintage flatbase stand and leave the cymbal alone...My opinion plus old stands look better.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:53 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I’m sure if you wanted to sell them here they would sell quick and you can find som later cymbals to fill your needs

Gary
Sweet 1964 wmp super Classic with matching. Jazz
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825