Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 06-16-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Default Intermediate Old K Istanbuls

post anything new- current- of interest- in regard to Intermediate stamp Old Ks - here
Old 06-18-2019, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Intermediate Old K Istanbuls

I have a 20" Intermediate at 1987gs (common weight right for the era and diameter) It's flat profile full of lows with the middle-hole (no mids) typical of Intermediates .
Stick sound so very prominent wonder side sticks Nice large intermediate bell.

Lucky to have grabbed it when I did (12+ years ago..)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

I love Intermediates. I don't like all Intermediates in a set tho.
Never cared for the hi hats (verses New Stamps)
An Intermediate right and left ( I have an 18 and 20 have had a 22) Becomes "too much" Intermediate.
But still a pleasure
Old 06-20-2019, 02:18 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

For the sake of illustration, here's an intermediate 22" with deaded umbrella profile. More on this one later:

Old 06-23-2019, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

I'll probably buy another Intermediate 22" (before I call it quits..) (in this lifetime)

I had one, once. I had (still have one) two 22" Old Ks. One is a New Stamp 2877g (which I decided and still have decided-to keep) And I had- bought off ebay for 1000$- an Intermediate at 2279g.

At the time I thought having two old K 22's was over-board. So I sold the Intermediate to Jeff at Cymbalholic- for 1400$- and he in turn after awhile- sold it to Bill Malley @ ClassicVintagedrums-- who sold it off into the ethersphere.

It was- in my opinion of the time- too low. I had gigged it- thought I couldn't hear- so it was the one chosen "to go".

Think Jeff had some video of it from 2011.
here.

and here

~~~~~~

So my point is I think I'll be able to fit another- well that's the plan- 22" old K--in to "my life" (that's a song..) before it's over............and it'll probably
be an Intermediate ( no desire for another New Stamp- even a lighter than what I have- one)

Intermediate - because being a totally 'another' old K "sound and build" old K, they can (like new Stamps) border on "affordable". Maybe around that 1000$ I paid in 2011.

I'm thinking that Intermediate is on Reverb and Ebay at the moment. CVD at that time- reweighed it and came up with "more than" 2279g..
And there were two tell-tale- marks on it (two brillo pad scrubs up near the bridge area- very obvious).

Last edited by jda; 06-23-2019 at 05:08 PM.