Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 07-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default What's with Acrolite (and Blackrolite) prices?

I know these have steadily gone up over the past few years, but some of these prices are out of control.

My local Guitar Center has one for $249, just a standard B/O Badge in good condition.

I was Indy over the weekend and stopped by Sam Ash to check out their used inventory. They had two Blackrolites, one priced at $299 and the other at $349! Both in average condition. Seriously, what the heck?

Like I said before, I know the "secret is out" on these, but that doesn't make them Supraphonics or Black Beauties! Sure, they are great drums, but there are also still a TON of them out there (just like Supras). I understand there is a premium for a Keystone Acrolite, but still, it's rare that you find one that sold for over $200. None of the snares mentioned above were Keystones.

By the way, I've never owned a Blackrolite, but those, from what I seem to hear from others, aren't quite as nice (or desirable) as a "true" Acro. Thoughts?

V
Old 07-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: What's with Acrolite (and Blackrolite) prices?

On one hand, I'm pretty sure (non keystone) Acrolites grow on trees, they're all over the place. I finally got one recently (a post on that to come). So I don't know why people are willing to buy acrolites and blackrolites for that much.

On the other hand...if people are buying them, maybe I should see if that local guy with a blackrolite for $50 still has that available...

As an aside, I think blackrolites are ugly. I'm sure they sound great, but aesthetically, unpleasing.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Since Ludwig reintroduced them, the older one's prices have gone bonkers.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Yes, prices have really gone up for Acrolites. I think that vm2k is correct about this due to the introduction of the new series. Still, it makes no sense as there are 1000's of them out there! Regardless of shell color, they're great drums. Unfortunately, I had a Blackrolite where the snare beds didn't line up with the strainer and butt! As a result, the wires buzzed like crazy! I transferred all the hardware to a Worldmax NOB (Nickel On Brass) shell and now have a Acro-Beauty... an Acrolilte with a brass shell. The pictures show the drum with 3mm hoops! I've also since replaced the P85/P32 with the new P88/P35 combination. It's a great drum, but I don't use it, so will be offering it for sale shortly.

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3143-1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	126208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3146.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	126209  
Old 07-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Bonkers is right. There's a 1970s B/O 6.5" on Reverb for $1,999 right now. I know that's a rare size and that pretty much everything on Reverb is overpriced, but that's really swinging for the fence, yeah?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I love it! Don't get me wrong.....but part of the reason I collected stuff over the years was as an investment. I WANT the prices to go up on all this stuff. In fact, the only way I'd even consider selling any of my stuff, now, is if a buyer was willing to pay the sun, sky and moon for it.

Acrolites are one of the greatest sounding/playing snare drums ever built. Ludwig got that shell design right!

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 07-09-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

I picked up a clean 2000 Blackrolite 2 years ago for $120, thought that was a reasonable price.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I agree! Saw one listed for $349 recently, wth? Jazz Fests for $300, Pioneers for $300, what’s going on?
1966 Ludwig Downbeat Burgundy Sparkle
1966 Rogers BR Headliner, Factory Original
1969 Ludwig BB Blue Oyster Keystone Clubdate
Early 60's Camco Champagne Sparkle
Snare Drums
A huge pile of 'em! Several rare and one offs!
Old 07-09-2019, 07:09 PM

It feels like acrolites are going for more than supraphonics and selling faster.

Last edited by gunnellett; 07-10-2019 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:13 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I sold my lovely 1971 acrolite that was 3 months shy of my birthday, to a fellow drummer and friend of mine. But truth is, I didn't sell it to him directly. He saw my ad and answered it, and when he txt me in response to the ad, I saw his number and name from my phone contacts. It was a total fluke ! He never asked to negotiate or bat an eye. I sold it for 170.00 Canadian dollars, roughly about 130.00 USD. mine was in near mint, excellent shape. I now regret it, but it wasn't getting used by me much anymore. My price seems a lot more normal for an acrolite, even one in great shape.

Last edited by human71; 07-10-2019 at 01:18 AM.