Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 11-13-2019, 10:38 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Who makes the most authentic vintage wrap?

I have a boring lacquered kit I,d like to wrap in a beautiful vintage rare wrap. Kit is a custom kit, so im not looking to copy...I,d love to have something from the 30,s- 50,s, but not sure if I can even find it, or who offers it....any suggestions?
Old 11-14-2019, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Who makes the most authentic vintage wrap?

what do you think of when you say vintage
I think of
https://www.google.com/search?biw=10...4dUDCAc&uact=5
Old 11-14-2019, 02:15 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Wow that is a cool wrap!

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 11-15-2019, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
I have a boring lacquered kit I,d like to wrap in a beautiful vintage rare wrap. Kit is a custom kit, so im not looking to copy...I,d love to have something from the 30,s- 50,s, but not sure if I can even find it, or who offers it....any suggestions?
If the shell originaly had no wrap make sure the heads will still fit after adding the additional thickness of a wrap. Otherwise you could cut the wrap slightly shorter to allow the heads to fit only over the original shell, and not the wrap. Not ideal, but I had to do that to an old Ludwig shell.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Check out all the offerings at Bum Wrap Drum Co. Here's the link... https://www.bumwrapdrumco.com/

Click "Drum Wrap Designs" and check out what they have. Their wrap is first-rate and thinner than Delmar wraps. I chose the "George" flag wrap for my 1994 Slingerland HSS kit. The original shells were hardly undersized and standard Delmar wrap would cause a very tight head fit. I also found that Evans heads fit better than Remo, which was before Remo came out with their "Classic Fit" heads!

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1165-1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	128568  
Old 11-16-2019, 12:41 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Check out all the offerings at Bum Wrap Drum Co. Here's the link... https://www.bumwrapdrumco.com/

Click "Drum Wrap Designs" and check out what they have. Their wrap is first-rate and thinner than Delmar wraps. I chose the "George" flag wrap for my 1994 Slingerland HSS kit. The original shells were hardly undersized and standard Delmar wrap would cause a very tight head fit. I also found that Evans heads fit better than Remo, which was before Remo came out with their "Classic Fit" heads!

-Mark

Mark...That website link doesn't work. I clicked on it repeatedly and nothing. I think the OP is looking for a more traditional classic wrap than what Bum Wrap sells.

OP, just contact Precision Drum or Jammin' Sam.
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60s MIJ Apollo/Majestic, Red Sparkle, 13/16/20
'60s MIJ Stewart, Gold Sparkle, 12/13/16/22

Author of the book, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."
Old 11-16-2019, 12:44 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
Mark...That website link doesn't work. I clicked on it repeatedly and nothing. I think the OP is looking for a more traditional classic wrap than what Bum Wrap sells.

OP, just contact Precision Drum or Jammin' Sam.
Hi DB! I just checked the link from my computer and it works perfectly. Not sure what issue you might be having.

Also, you're probably right about what the OP is looking for. Still, it never hurts to check out what's available!

-Mark
Old 11-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks for the great suggestions, much appreciated...I was thinking more traditional like peacock lavender, full dressed from Ludwig, rose pearl, etc.
You are right though about having an unlimited number of choices, and I will start with your ideas!
Old 11-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post

-Mark
Mark!
I have never seen such a beautiful wrap or installation in my life! Simply breathtaking! What a fantastic job! I am truly in awe!!!
Brian
Old 11-16-2019, 04:46 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty 1322 View Post
Mark!
I have never seen such a beautiful wrap or installation in my life! Simply breathtaking! What a fantastic job! I am truly in awe!!!
Brian
Thanks Brian!

Bum Wrap Drum Company offers some great wraps! While it is held on only at the seams, the lugs and other hardware keep it attached really well. I've had no issues over the years that it's been on my kit.

I really hope the OP can find a wrap to his liking from what's currently available.

-Mark