Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Vintage Cymbal Sizzler Attachments
you can still buy these new today

http://www.interstatemusic.com/60391...er-UPSIZ.aspx#
Old 10-15-2013, 12:38 PM

So weird, hadn't thought of these in years and just last week was talking to another drum pal about these (he's younger than I and didn't know about them). I had one exactly like the first one pictured. Pretty neat but at least on my cymbal the sizzle would "sizzle out" too quickly, which in hindsight was probably the cymbal. Anyhow, I have always wanted a cymbal with rivets and one day, someday ...
Old 02-20-2018, 07:53 AM

Hey guys.

Digging up an old thread here and have a question.

Do these things mar up the cymbal surface a bit?

Thanks,
Wes
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

No.............
Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have some that came with my 64 wmp kit and the owner used them without the arms as cymbal locks pretty cool idea
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:51 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to keep an eye for one. I saw on YouTube someone that makes one with one arm.

Wes
Old 02-20-2018, 08:22 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

On the one I have, either arm just slide outs. So the one arm setup would be no problem. Mine is a Camco sizzler.

Mike
Old 02-20-2018, 09:11 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I remember in 1968 when I was 11 or 12 walking to a music store in downtown Birmingham from the first Methodist church, where my Father who was a minister, was at a meeting. I went with him that day. I had a metal bead light pull dangling on my cymbal at the time. At the store I bought a Camco Sizzler like the one in the pic. I think it cost me $2.50-$325 something like that. That was a chunk of change for me as a kid back then. I still have the top round part. I loved that thing. Today I have a beautiful 70's 18" Avedis Zildjian sizzle cymbal I use on all my Jazz gigs. I put Zildjian rivets in every hole. A absolute must for ballads and tasteful soft sizzle bumps on accents. Could not do without it.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:26 PM

So I picked one up made by Cannon. BOTH arms came bent. Not quite sure how that happened. It is going back and a new one is on the way. Those arms the rivets are on are thin, I can see how a few hits with a stick could bend them up quite a bit.

Wes
Old 02-25-2018, 12:43 PM

Decided to make some chain sizzlers yesterday just for fun and to to see how they sound. So easy a caveman could do it! I went to the hardware store and grabbed a couple feet of the heavier ball type chain the chain sizzlers are made of. Grabbed some in steel and brass. Also picked up some split rings for keys. Made a few sizzlers and they came out to about 60 cents each. They sound fine. Not loud but added a little texture. Really the only issue is they tend to lay right where I wanted to play the cymbal so I had to pay a bit more attention. For the minimal cost and effort, it was worth it just to play around.

Wes