Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Rockin Robin's
LandenLarry and I went to Rockin Robin's this weekend. It's a local music store here in Houston. They have 3 rooms of drums. I had never been there, Larry was the one who said I had to see this place. Very cool drums. My cell phone camera doesn't do these drums justice. I wish i had my regular camera. I thought you guys might enjoy the pics. . .James
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Rockin Robin's
Wow! Looks like a great place to go with a pocket full of money.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

James, that place looks killer, I'm gonna have to make a trip up there! How are their prices?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicmorganic View Post
Wow! Looks like a great place to go with a pocket full of money.
OH Yeah! $$$$$$. BTW Atomic. Most of those drums are for sale or trade, but a few are off limits. He has 4 or 5 Ludwig 400 COB in a glass case. We got interrupted mid talk, but I'm sure those are not for sale.

Last edited by FatherTime; 08-09-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead View Post
James, that place looks killer, I'm gonna have to make a trip up there! How are their prices?
Hey Ryan, Like you would expect. This guy Bart is the man there who collects, sales,trades those drums. He's pretty cool guy. They have a blue Bowling Ball snare that Larry was asking about that would match his kit. Bart told him he would trade for a 400 supraphonic or super sensitive COB. Larry told me later that if he had a 400, he wouldn't trade it for the BB snare. I agree.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Rockin Robin's there well known!! they've been featured in NSMD and Classic Drummer magazines!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemore2000 View Post
Rockin Robin's there well known!! they've been featured in NSMD and Classic Drummer magazines!
That's pretty cool VM! I had heard of them and been to their website, but it doesn't do the place justice. you have to go see for yourself.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I love that place! Some of those drums (specifically the snares up on the high, high shelves in the snare drum/hardware room) are not for sale, but just about everything else is. That doesnt stop me from staring up at those snares and dreaming . It would be nice to meet you guys up there one weekend - Im only a few miles away in the Heights part of town.

Last edited by james; 08-09-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

It might be just me,but i dont appreciate drums that are in a showroom,but out of reach and sight.It sends a message to me that im not to be trusted in the proximity of them.I,d feel more comfortable being able to see up close and pick one up,supervised if neccessary.They can be in a glass case,thats ok,but out of reach i find insulting
Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I can understand that, but at the same time i can imagine that its difficult to display lots and lots of drums (as this place has) all within reach. I think the shelves are probably just there to utilize the wall space and high ceilings and show as many drums as possible. There are lots and lots of drums, including vintage kits, that are set up and on the floor ready to be played! Its definitely a really cool place to see and play great old drums.

James

Last edited by james; 08-09-2010 at 09:53 PM.