Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 11-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Default Ludwig 1920s Mahogany Super

Hi!

I'm trying to decide if I should buy this drum or not. It's a Ludwig mahogany shell super 6,5x14 from the 1920's but it's in a little beat up condition and missing a few parts.
Someone painted the whole drum, shell, lugs and all in white and the current owner cleaned all the hardware (came out nice/decent). When hi tried to sand the paint of the shell he couldn't get it out of the pores, so instead of sanding more, and possibly ruining the shell, he wrapped it in rosewood(plastic). I think glue was only applied at the seam so it should be fairly easy to get off.
The inside doesn't look very nice but could probably be sanded to look ok.

The drum is missing the internal rod as well as the upper parts on the butt side, other then that it seems ok.

Seller is asking 425$, fair deal? Do you think it would be possible to source the missing parts?

I own a couple of NOB 1920s Ludwigs and love them. Have always been curious about the wood versions from that era.

I'm looking to play the drum, not a collector...

Please chime in!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3919.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	122332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3918.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	122333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3916.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	122334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3917.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	122335  

Old 11-10-2018, 01:11 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig 1920s Mahogany Super

I would think that price is a little high, for as many issues that it has.. parts missing, painted inside, and being re-wrapped like it is.
I wouldn't have much interest in that particular drum due to those issues, unless you're able to negotiate a better price.
I am not certain how available those parts would be... may take a while to find what you need.
If you're really wanting that drum, I'd guess $200-250 is about as much as I'd feel ok spending on it.
Just my two cents.

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Old 11-10-2018, 06:00 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig 1920s Mahogany Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-pangdrums View Post
Hi!

I'm trying to decide if I should buy this drum or not. It's a Ludwig mahogany shell super 6,5x14 from the 1920's but it's in a little beat up condition and missing a few parts.
Someone painted the whole drum, shell, lugs and all in white and the current owner cleaned all the hardware (came out nice/decent). When hi tried to sand the paint of the shell he couldn't get it out of the pores, so instead of sanding more, and possibly ruining the shell, he wrapped it in rosewood(plastic). I think glue was only applied at the seam so it should be fairly easy to get off.
The inside doesn't look very nice but could probably be sanded to look ok.

The drum is missing the internal rod as well as the upper parts on the butt side, other then that it seems ok.

Seller is asking 425$, fair deal? Do you think it would be possible to source the missing parts?

I own a couple of NOB 1920s Ludwigs and love them. Have always been curious about the wood versions from that era.

I'm looking to play the drum, not a collector...

Please chime in!
There`s nothing cheap about that drum. Considering how many are left,...it deserves to be saved. You got 90% of the trim, and a lathe can solve the shell issues. (nothing cheap about it) The plies are pretty thick. Otherwise they all succume to time.

As for my opinion, Borrow some parts from the other 20`s and put something together and play the hell out of it. Then later decide.

Only a collector would put five times the money into it than he would get out of it.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i