Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 11-03-2017, 01:56 PM

Default Cymbal repair advice needed

Hey all, a forum search turned up no results so... I recently started a middle school teaching job. Since they never had an instructor whose main axe is percussion the school asked me to give some attention to the school kit. When I first saw the instrument, I immediately sighed because the drums were really trashed. However, one of the cymbals made my skin tingle without even hearing it. Noticing the gorgeous patina that only a old K earns, I squinted at the stamp. Yes! Signature under bell? Yes! Sound was a bit off. Only after the adrenaline subsided did I see the cracks emanating from the bell....so sad.

I understand the process for “repairing” cracks occurring on the main body of the cymbal. Has anyone ever heard of a repair for bell cracks? I Thought I could drill out the center of the bell to cut out the cracks but am a bit worried about the resulting change in sound quality. The longest crack is just under an inch. The easiest and potentially safest option is to do nothing and let it gradually become an effect cymbal...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A109231B-4C17-41B1-B469-79F8DB6FFEDC.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	113632   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	113633  
Old 11-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Cymbal repair advice needed

My 18" old stamp Istanbul K cymbal before:

After:

Repaired by laser microfusion by Jake Winebrenner in 2015. Cost depends on the amount of time involved and how complex the cracks are. I think the usual fee is about $40 (plus shipping) but you should check with him. In the after photo the pencil points to an area where there was a "hanging chad".

I'll have his email address lurking somewhere on my disk, or if you do Facebook there is a link to him below the video.

Paiste 602/Sound Creation research click here
Which K Stamp? A DIY tool click here
Old K prices and weights click here
Avedis Zildjian gallery and timeline click here
Old A prices and weights click here

Last edited by zenstat; 11-03-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Cymbal repair advice needed

Hey Zen thanks!