Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 04-05-2018, 02:39 AM

Default Ludwig imperial lug breakage

I was tuning my 1980s Ludwig Hammered Bronze Supra yesterday and noticed that one of the lug mounting screws hade fallen off inside the drum. I removed the reso head and upon closer inspection it turned out that one of the studs of the lug (the upper one) where the screw attaches was broken.

Also, when I removed it, the corresponding stud on the adjacent lug was also broken.

This has never happened to me before, so I was a bit shocked. However, the drum is over 30 years old so material fatigue could occur, I guess.

Anyway, I want to order replacement lugs for my drum. Is this the correct part?

https://www.dpmusic.se/produkt/ludwi...l-tension-lug/

Thanks in advance for your input.

/Magnus
Old 04-05-2018, 06:21 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig imperial lug breakage

Hi Magnus!

I've also never had a a broken stud on any of my vintage Ludwig lugs, but anything is possible! And, yes, that is the correct lug to order. The interior of the new lug will probably be different, though. I'm not sure if new lugs use springs, or not, to hold the lug nut. Your other option is to seek out period correct lugs on sites such as eBay. There might be some being offered in your area. Good luck, and let us know what you do.

-Mark
Old 04-05-2018, 06:30 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for good advice! I will likely order new lugs. If I lived in the US, I might go the vintage/eBay route. However, since I live in the EU, vintage lug market for Ludwigs is scarce...

I will keep you updated on developments.

All the best,

Magnus
Old 04-05-2018, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

A few years ago I converted my '90 Hammered Bronze Supra to tube lugs & out of 10 lugs, 4 had one or both screw lugs broken. My guess is that the metal they were using at the time wasn't all that good.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:38 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

A buddy of mine recently bought an '80s Supra and he's had multiple lugs fail. I guess Freddie is right that the metal Ludwig was using at the time wasn't very good.

Currently looking for a 3-ply 24x14 Ludwig in champagne sparkle w/rail consolette and cymbal mount!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
A buddy of mine recently bought an '80s Supra and he's had multiple lugs fail. I guess Freddie is right that the metal Ludwig was using at the time wasn't very good.
Interesting information with the Imperial lugs from the 80's!

-Mark
Old 04-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
I beat the hell out of my '68 Acrolite for years & not one of the (bowtie of course) lugs has ever broken. I wonder if the newer ones are any better.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:57 AM

frantic freddie and Zach, thanks for the info. That is really good to know, since it made not a little upset to see these lugs break.

frantic freddie: Please share some about your experiences with the tube lug conversion. Did you buy original Ludwig lugs? What difference did this make to the sound of the drum?

/Magnus
Old 04-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Pretty sure Ludwig outsourced their lugs from outside suppliers that did their die-casting (nowadays all that stuff is imported). Probably various sources through the years. Figure some made better quality castings than others (the order probably went to the low bidder after all) so that could account for variations through the years. One would assume that the problems would get ironed out as they arose but there might be the occasional "iffy" batch and if they survived the initial assembly they'd still be out there.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:19 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I've had multiple similar failures with 80s bowties on Acrolites. Oddly the Blacrolite lugs always seem rock solid. As KO said, probably a rogue supplier in the 80s

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz